Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cast iron grill (cracked)

Options
Artinflorida
Artinflorida Posts: 29
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a BGE cast iron grill about a month ago. I have used it about 4 times for trex steaks. Tonight I started the fire and as the lump was starting, I put the ci on and let it heat as the lump caught. Temp got to about 500 and I checked it and ci had cracked in two places.
Is this normal? Is it warranted by the mothership?
Thanks

Comments

• Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    I have had a ci grill for several month and it too has cracked. I think it is the "nature of the beast". Not sure if it is covered by warranty.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    It's a design issue. When cast iron gets hot it expands, but since the BGE grate design has that outside circular ring that doesn't get direct heat it stays colder. As the center heats and expands then cracks are quite possible. You really ought to cut at least 2 if not 4 places in that outer ring. Besides if it isn't covered by warranty anyway why not relieve or at least lessen the stress?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mines been cracked in two places for a couple of years now and it doesn't seem to affect any cooks I've done. The problem?
  • eggheel
    eggheel Posts: 7
    Options
    My cracked and split in several places on my first cook. I think once it cracked, it relieved the design flaw and has since been fine to cook with. No additional cracks. No additional problems.