Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For a thin steak, don't TREX right?

Options
Tuck
Tuck Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife brought home some sirloins that are cut pretty thin, less than an inch. What's the best way to do these on the Egg?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    just the sear
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Do not sear first.

Sirloins do not have the marbling of other steaks. You should cook them at 350 for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on how you like them and the thickness.

We get 1 -1 1/2 inch Sirloins and we like very med rare...I cook them at 350 for 2-3 minutes per side the cover with foli & let them rest. I get the fire up to 600 degrees and sear about 1 minute per side. I wrap in foil for 10 minutes to let the juices redstribute and they are great...

at The Naked Whiz website this is the reverse TRex method
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    his steaks are so thin, i dunno if a two stage cook (either way) can be done without overdoing it. sounded like they are only a half inch to maybe three quarters of an inch thick.

can you do the reverse Trex still? i guess maybe, reducing everything to 45 seconds a side, maybe?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Get the weed burner out and do one minute per side.Only kidding.I would bring them to room temperature or a quick water bath with hot tap water for about forty five minutes then sear for 90 seconds per side.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Because there is so little fat in Sirloins I would only cook at 350 for 2-3 minutes per side with no sear...

I think (but I am no Eggspert) if you just do the sear for 1 minute your steak will be way undercooked...

the warm water bath might help solve that problem

also why not make fajitas out of these & go get some good meaty ribeyes... :laugh:

there are always options....