Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tri-tip in cognito???

Options
citychicken
citychicken Posts: 484
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
yesterday i saw an advertisement for tri-tip posted in front of a butcher's shop here in ohio. $3.99 /lb. i think that is a pretty fair price. i planned on jumping in especially 'cause tri-tip is a difficult cut to find near cleveland.

well i visited the butcher today. i've never done business with him before. he special cut three for me. individually wrapped them in freezer paper. i got them home and they looked quite unlike any tri-tip i ever purchased before. in other words not the traditional boomerang shaped piece of meat. they are rectangular cut with fat cap and look like a brisket flat although definitely not briskett

i called him. he told me that it was top sirloin cut from the top round. certainly not what i was expecting to hear considering that i believe tri-tip traditionally comes from the boneless bottom
sirloin butt.

so is this just an honest regional mistake in nomenclature or traditional naming. kind of like delmonicos or new york steaks being named differently depending where you are. or perhaps is the meat cut differently? or just some butcher passing of one cut for another?

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    You only get 1 true tri-tip from 1 side of beef. What you got would be called Top Sirloin Steak here if it came off the sirloin. But you are talking about the top round and bottom round. That would be round steaks, and rump roast. Tri tip comes from the cap of a Sirloin Tip Roast. Tell him that is what you want.
    Grocers are constantly coming up with more Exotic names for beef and pork to charge more for lesser cuts.
    Can you take a picture?

Mike
  • there were several threads on this a week or so back., i posted and asked if the below pictured were really tri tips? and those that know said 'yes' so if your don't look like this ....

tri-tip002.jpg

tri-tip008.jpg

tri-tip014.jpg
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    I have several meat stores in the area... big grocery stores, etc...

Few know what a tri-tip is. I get mine at Sam's.

I've been to Whole Foods, and they have tri-tip, but charge about 3X what Sam's charges.

Makes you think twice about the expression, "Holy Cow!"

~ B

:):):)
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    WOW, Sams. My doesn't have them. Just shows the difference in locations. How do they come packed?

Mike
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Because I really would like to know; how can you possibly get this (or any butt meat) tender and what direction would you slice it if you did? I'm gun shy on the cheap cuts because cheap, tough or failed attempts equals no dinner tonight...am I being too pesimistic?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Ask your meat manager at your Sam's to order in a case. You will probably have to buy 1 or 2 bags. The case comes with 8 bags and each bag has 6 to 8 tri-tips. That is how I got my Sams to carry Tri-Tips. Good luck, Tom TriTipstorage.jpg
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    Tri-Tip is a very tender cut of beef. It is best grilled at around 425/450 to an internal temp of 135 for medium rare. Cut it against the grain and it is absolutly wonderful. Put a nice rub of salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Good luck, Tom TriTipCook3-1.jpg
  • Broc
    Options
    Right -- Precisely --

They order them in for themselves! Really!

And we have to ask for them as they never hit the case. So, you buy them in bulk, then vacu-freeze all but one [unless you're havin' a partaaay!

B)
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    cooked them once and have two for tomorrow night. below pictured is all i know of tri tips.
    they are quite expensive here compared to other areas of the countrry

tri-tip.jpg

seared ala Trex. some one asked about using the flat side of the cast iron, so i tried, hence the crappy grill marks

tri-tip019.jpg

internal after sear

tri-tip020.jpg

resting

tri-tip015.jpg

thick part after eggin at 400

tri-tip022.jpg

thin part

tri-tip023.jpg

double wrapped in foil preheated cooler for two hours per broc sliced thin across the grain. was so good i would not consider skipping the foil step.

tri-tip026.jpg

i have two more for tomorrow night and time to play around and will experiment if anyone has a specific request i can document and post results .
  • Broc
    Options
    We often have gatherings of 25 - 30 people, and steak sammies are the rage. We do a "take" on the Philly sandwich, and use tri-tip, sliced then across the grain.

I can't think of a better meat to use -- rich, beefy taste... but be sure to slice thin, across the grain... and to rest it several hours to "tender-up."

But -- we've been able to get tri-tip at Sam's [buying bulk] for under $6/lb, sometimes under $5... depends on the butcher. B)

Those who know my ugly face are a lot kinder in the pocketbook.

;)
  • SacramentoSteve
    Options
    Citychicken,

your butcher may have just given/sold you an untrimmed tri tip. Does it look like this?
    whole_tritip.jpg
  • Boxerpapa
    Boxerpapa Posts: 989
    Options
    I'm going out on a limb and assuming you live in Sacramento? If so, I'm just south of you in Elk Grove (like you really care).