Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook time for pork loin

Options
Vogs
Vogs Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am cooking a pork loin tonight. My wife would like me to cook some sweet potatoes at the same time. The sweet potatoe recipe calls for a 2 hour cook at 220 degrees. I would normally cook my loin at a higher temperature. My loin is about 2.5 to 3 pounds. If I cook it at 220 degrees, any idea how long it will take? Will the pork loin turn out OK at a longer cook and lower temp.? Or am I better off cooking the sweet potatoes at a higher teperature for a shorter time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[p]Thanks,
Karl

Comments

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Vogs,[p]I would cook the loin as you are comfortable with to produce a great loin. You can start either the pork or the potatoes first. Potatoes can withstand much more than the meat and still be great. They also stay hot much longer.[p]How are you going to cook the loin? What does the potatoe recipe call for?[p]Spin
  • Vogs
    Options
    Spin,[p]After further review with the wife it turns out the sweet potatoe recipe is only baked sweet potatoes!! Therefore, I plan to cook the pork loin at around 350 degrees for about 1.5 to 2 hours. I plan to take it off the egg when it reached 145 - 150 degrees.
    The recipe I am using is new for me. It is a herb crusted Pork loin served over Polenta (a mexican dish consisting of water and corn meal) and cover with a roasted tomatoe-Garlic sauce. It sounds pretty good. We will see how it turns out.[p]Karl

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Vogs,[p]Sounds very interesting and I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on the cook.[p]Spin
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Vogs,[p]Polenta a Mexican dish??? [p]Growing up in our large Italian family, we ate polenta twice a week for my entire childhood. Served with a nice red sauce. Great stuff![p]It's just I have never heard polenta to be a Mexican dish. mis-type perhaps?[p]Try that pork loin at 450º and sear each side for 5 minutes. Then turn down heat to 400º and cook for another 40-50 minutes, basting and turning every 10 minutes. Watch for 145º on the meat. Be sure to rest for 10 minutes...wrap in foil if you want to stay piping hot.[p]Stogie
  • Vogs
    Options
    Stogie,[p]I stand corrected. Polenta is not Mexican, but Italian. Pretty tasty either way.[p]Vogs