Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Hot Tubs - Recommendations

Options
QBabe
QBabe Posts: 2,275
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No, not hot tubs for steaks...QBH and I are thinking of getting one at home for on our patio and wondered if any of you know anything about them that we should know as first time purchasers?

Do you have one? Would you recommend it to others? Have you run into any problems you weren't aware of when you bought it? What should we look into for comparisons?

There seem to be a lot to choose from, anywhere from $2000 - $20000 price range. Aside from size, what makes them so different and why would you pay $20000 for one if you could get one for $2000?

Thanks for any input you can give...!

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    AZRP should be the one to answer this one i am awaiting paitently his response

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I have had a bubble tub for, I guess over 10 years. I am working on my second one now. I guess the general rule is to get the one that will fit how many people you want to sit in it at one time. I would get a 220 volt one, vs. a 110. You have to have a dedicated circuit and a quick shut off, (guess depending on state rules). This was a problem when I got my second one. No GFS ??, had to install a separate box with shut off. (Just purchased my first Large Egg a couple of weeks ago. Did great until this Sunday, and burned the ribs.
    Bob
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    One thing to research is whether Florida has a provision for sales tax exemption or some other form of credit if you get a prescription from your doctor. It probably requires a special form. Those aches and pains could be worth money.

We save over $800 on ours.

Spring "Hot Bubbly Water Helps My Pain" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • bobbyc
    bobbyc Posts: 15
    Options
    Hot Springs, have had it for 15 years and use it everyday, still looks new. Outside in Wisconsin.
    Paid $5,000 back then.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    I have a Bullfrog Spa. It is about 4 years old (will be in June). It still works like the day we bought it. I like the interchangeable jet packs. The quality is very good. It is very well insulated and quiet.

Like stated in a previous post, go with 220v. It is much cheaper to run and creates less wear and tear from what I've been told.

I think the cheaper models will actually be more expensive in the long run because they tend to be less insulated and tend to cycle more frequently.

I am far from an expert, but I like mine.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Had one for 10 years, just had 1800GOTJUNK come cut it in pieces and haul away to make room for my Big Green Egg cooking and porch layout. Turned it off about 8 months ago and the electric bill went down by $40 per month, and we only ran the filter two times a day...if you think you must, go with a 220 installation however...buy bigger than you think you need because a 5 or six seater actually only seats two or maybe three comfortably. Do your research on Consumers Digest as well, there are pros and cons for many features like Ozonators, etc. :pinch: My bottom line, I can count the number of times we used in in ten years and it came out to about $50 per dip...others however use them religiously I know. And by the way, if your doctor writes you a prescription, you can punt the sales tax if it is medically necessary (disclaimer goes here). I doubt you can be really happy under $4500 plus the cost of installing a dedicated circult for 220 ($500+-).
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    ...Ours is a Jacuzzi....... great times, incredible spot........have enjoyed every single moment in it.........my suggestion: keep it simple.....no speakers or too many jets.....or huge size.....just enough for máximum 3 or 4.....that´s all your going to get after the novelty wears off.......ours has a cascade which is a nice thing to have because you can enjoy it & put it on at parties...etc. Mine I got in San Antonio Tex, in Spa Crafters. Let me know if I cab help you in any way. All the best.
    DSCN0907.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    We have a Sundance, four pasenger model and like it a lot. It's a little pricey to run through the N.E. winter but we suffer through it.
    SpaGorrilla.jpg
    We have problems with the neighborhood animals.
  • Sundance Spa!....i have a 1994 Marin...still going strong...no other brand comes close...go see them in person....try them before you buy one... i love mine
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    QBabe..a lot depends on what size (how many people) you want if for...we bought a '3 man' which we have comfortably had 4 in...most of the time it is me alone or me and the wife so it is plenty big and we dont spend all that money keeping a larger one warm..we went with Hotsprings Jetsetter..have had it a year and absolutely no problems...test ph once a week, put filters in the dishwasher once a month..easy!..cost is in the $5000 range...here's a pic and good luck..you'll love it if you get one!..wife calls ours 'an old man's swimming pool' :woohoo:
    HPIM0004-1.jpg
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    That's the same model I have, good to hear that it's going to last.