Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

indirect heat

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone cooked ribs on the bge using indirect heat. If so, how did you do it and how did they turn out?

Comments

• Country Boy
    Country Boy Posts: 11
    Derek W.Simpson,
    I cooked 2 slabs yesterday with the Plate Setter turned down. that is the leggs turned up and 14 inch or more deep dish pizza Pan setting on it. The grill on top of the legs with Kat's recipe for rub,Ribs cut in half in a rib rack.
    They were very good. With the big pizza Pan, the heat is much easer to regulate.

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Derek W.Simpson, Just did some baby backs tonight. I used a cast iron pizza pan on lower grate then fire bricks on top of that on edge (length wise) then another grate and ribs cut in half in a rack on top of that.
    Cooked for 3 hrs at 300 dome, using the mustard slather and Marv's Marvlus Rib Rub (of course).
    Came out a little crunchy on the outside and tender and juicy inside......Just not much meat on the little critters.
    Almost forgot, bottom about 1/8" and top wide open.[p]Marv

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Derek W.Simpson,[p]I have found that the use of an inverted plate setter is inefficient when it comes to doing ribs indirectly, or for that matter, anything that's not a lo & slo like butts or briskets.[p]I did 6 slabs of spare ribs for a getogether last month that turned out incredible. Since, for that many ribs, I needed the whole main grid, I took one of those elevated grids, and modified it to "hang" underneath the grid. Then, I foiled a 13 inch pizza stone, and it fit snuggly inside that hanging grid. [p]I took one of those cheap rib racks that you buy fom Home Depot, and spread the rungs apart so I could fit 6 racks of ribs, which were marinated overnite with the buttermilk/mustard "goop".
    I turned them every 45 minutes at 250* dome. (This is a 5 hour cook) After about 3 turns, I took them all out, and coated them with Stubb's Moppin Sauce. In the last hour, I coated them again with Stubb's BBQ sauce.[p]That crowd we had at the house did not know what hit them. Both men and women alike all commented to me that they felt like you always do after you eat Thanksgiving dinner. You always eat too much before you realize you are full. "Awesome" did not do those ribs justice.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Derek W.Simpson,
    Yes, plate setter, feet up with a drip pan on it, set the rib rack over the drip pan on the grill. 300 degrees and 3 hours later, excellent baby backs.

• Brian
    Brian Posts: 73
    Derek W.Simpson,[p]What exactly is indirect heat method. Should know but don't.[p]Brian