Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Texas Eggfest Opinion? Non cooking and small kids?

Spincycle
Spincycle Posts: 26
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I've been away the last 2 years being a new dad. I have exercised my new XL egg only twice since then! Egads.

Now that my kid is older, I'm getting back in. If you are a non-cooker at eggfest, is it a bit boring? Would this be a bad place to bring a very active 22 month old?
Do most of you camp out, or get hotels?

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    As a non cooker you WILL NOT be bored. There are a lot of nice people to talk to and enjoy the labors of their cooking. + you will learn a lot if you ask questions My first Eggfest I was a non cooker and we loved it.

I am way passed the active 22 mo question but in my opinion you would enjoy it more without the child for a day. You would not want the child to possibly get burned or injured around all of the BGEs and the cooking supplies.

Just my 2 cents.......
  • Spincycle
    Spincycle Posts: 26
    Yeah, good advice. I can really see my kid touching all the funny big eggs. Perhaps Grandma can take him for the weekend, and the wife and I will get in some partying on 6th street. Sounds like a fun mini vacation. Thanks!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    My first Texas Eggfest I was a non-cooker and had a blast meeting and talking to people that I had only contacted by email or this forum. No regrets of not cooking.
    Both my wife and I cooked at last years Eggfest as well as the two guest that we brought along. No regrets cooking but I had very little time to walk around and visit and spent most of my time in one area with our cooking group.
    Kim makes a good point about the danger with kids but there were young kids around both years with no problems that I can remember.
    The Egg is safer to the touch on the out side than say a gas grill or Weber charcoal grill.
    The ceramic temp on the outside will make you pull back if you touch it but at least it will be mild. Other grills will take your skin off before you know what happened.
    Hope to see you in Austin,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Now that you mention it, I think I did see you move from your highly protected encampment area once last year.

It was very quick though, so I can't be too sure...
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    We had a good spot with lots of shade and a little breeze. I hope this years spot is good.
    Last year seemed to be early nights both Friday and Saturday. The year before were late night, hang around and drink and talk.
    Take care,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    The Oasis is not nearly as shaded as the West Beach location - but there are some advantages:

- Go out on the deck for one of the most spectacular Hill Country views (sunsets are legendary)

- Darn good margaritas!! :evil: