Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advise On Changing The Band

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone advise on installing the spring assisted band on an old large egg? Is this rocket science or can a I handle it?

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Tar Heel,[p]Just make sure that your is not inside a cart or a table, or your in for a nasty surprise.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Tar Heel,
    Hello, oh fellow Tar Heel! Yes, you can handle it. Like the previous post said, the new hinge when opened will go down in back and strike the table if you have a typical table where essentially you have cut a hole in the top and set the egg down in. If this is true you either will need to modify the table or put a cement tile or two under the egg to raise it up. You can also install the hinge upside down, but it doesn't work as well in that position. It is designed to be installed right side up.[p]Also, anytime you take your hinge off and put it back on, make sure you tighten the bolts sufficiently. I've seen references to recommendations that the bolt should actually bend when you have tightened it enough. Also, I've seen references to using silicone, but mine never had any and so I don't know the details. Maybe others will chime in here.[p]Good luck!
    TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Website[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Tar Heel,
    If I can do it, you can do it. It took about 45 minutes (a lot of which was "hmmmmmmmmm" time), and 2 beers. Looking back, 2 things would have made it easier: having three hands instead of the 2 I was issued, and a 3/8 inch box end wrench. (I later bought the wrench, and use it every time I fire up. And you know, every time I can tighten another little bit.)