Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Dutch Oven-Need help

Options
Rick in Crystal Lake
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My beautiful wife just bought me a new 6 qt Lodge Dutch Oven. It is porclin enamal coated and is the color green. (not quite BGE green but close enough). After she gave it to me she said that she would like to have beef stew made on the Egg. I assured her this would be no problem, I can handle that!! Well, I haven't a clue as to where to start. Aside from beef, wher do I go from here? Help. I have never made beef stew before. :ohmy:

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    first, ask her whether she wants egg noodles [my preference but i eat scrapple] or potato for starch.
    once established. go to the store get 2 lbs of stew beef, carrots, celery, the 'expensive' beef stock [2 qts] and a qt of veg, stock, head of garlic big sweet onion . no bullion cubes. but this is good stuff
    egg at 350 direct. oil the oven and brown the meat in small batches saving the juices that come out. when all is browned oil the pan add the onion and garlic sweat until soft. add meat and stock to cover, simmer in the egg un covered [a bit of hickory is nice] add more stock as it reduces. after an hour add 6 good sized carrots cut up, the same volume of chopped celery [1/2 inch] and enough stock to cover. if doing taters add them now cook till taters are done. if egg noodle add them 15 minutes after the carrots and cook till they are done. once the meat is browned the egg can be damped down to 250ish just enough to maintain a simmer. salt and pepper tested before and after veggies are added . make sure to have enough stock to keep adding and remeber the noodle will suck up a lot of liquid
    good luck
    bill
  • Bob-O
    Bob-O Posts: 211
    Options
    I have made a dutch oven pot roast that QBabe posted in 2003 several times and we like it a lot.

"Preheat the egg with platesetter in to 325 to 350. Spinkle chuck roast(3.5 lb) heavily with salt and pepper and do a sear. Add about 2 cups of chopped onion to the pot along with the roast. Cover the roast about half way up with water. Use a couple chunks of oak or hickory in the egg and cook uncovered for 2 hours. After 2 hours add celery, carrots, and potatoes to the pot and cook uncovered for 1/2 hour. At the end of the 1/2 hour cover the pot and cook for 45 iminutes.

Hope it works as well for you as it does for us.
  • Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    Bill,
    Thank you so much. Her family is coming over next Sunday so I have the time to gather all the items I will need. I will use potatos for starch but am considering using the noodles. I don't know if that would be too much of a change. May try it when it's just her and I.
    Thanks again, I feel I'm good to go!!
    One more question: Do you buy the beef already cut (stew beef) or do you cut your own?
  • Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how I do.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here you go try this one:

Stew, Beef, Grandpas Grub

Pot Roast a very versital cook which will give a very tender (spoon cutable) roast and leftovers make wonderful sandwitch.. Beef Stew a very easy and wonderful tasting stew. This is great

INGREDIENTS:
    1 3 Lbs Chuck roast – cut to 1 1/2 inch cubes (or use stew meat, but the cuts won’t brown even due to the odd shaped pieces)
    3 Tbs vegetable (or EEOV) oil
    3 Med garlic cloves minced or pressed
    3 Tbs Flour unbleached
    2 cups low sodium chicken broth (possibly 3 cups depending on the consistency of stew you want)
    2 Med Onions course chop (apx 2 cups)
    2 Bay leaves
    1 tsp thyme
    4 medium red potatoes (apx 1 1/2#) peel cut into apx 1” cubes
    1 Lb Carrots apx 4 large carrots
    1 cup frozen peas
    1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves ( I usually use dry parsley 2T or to taste)

Procedure:
    1 At times I also put in carrots and once in a while celery – celery will change taste quickly.
    2 On the egg… with cast dutch oven – my large egg at 300° at grid (low simmer temp/very light boil)
    3 S&P chuck roast. Oven in egg on grid direct cook and oven at temp put in 1T of oil. Place meat cubes in bottom of oven close but not touching. Apx 2 minutes until brown – do not move or stir. Turn cubes and cook for 3 to 5 more min until well browned. Remove cubes and place in bowl. Add 1T more oil and place rest of meat in oven and repeat previous steps. Remove and place in bowl.
    4 Add 1T oil to emptied D. oven, swirl to coat bottom of oven. Add Onions and ¼ tsp salt. Stir frequently & hard with wooden spoon to loosen up the brown bits on the bottom of the oven. Continue until onions are soften apx 4 to 5 minutes.
    5 Add garlic, stir for 30 seconds. Stir in the floour and cook until lightly colored – 1 to 2 minutes. Slowly add 1 cup of broth stirring on bottom and side of oven to get the remaining brown bits off of the d. oven. Keep stirring until mix has thickened up.
    6 Slowly add remaining broth while stirring. Add bay leaves and thyme and bring to simmer.
    7 You need to work quickly as you don’t want the egg to super heat.
    8 Add meat and return to simmer. Cook for about 1 hour at 300° grid (this will be apx 330 if egg was stabilized – 360° dome if egg not stabilized). If egg not stabilized you will need to reduce dome as the all the ceramics get up to temp. The stew needs to be at a simmer.
    9 After this first hour add potatoes & carrots cook about another hour until meat is tender.
    10 Do a final adjustment of seasoning and check for consistency (dry or wet)
    11 S&P to taste – add peas and parsley and toss the bay leaves.
    12 Optional notes.
    13 I usually put the dutch oven directly on the coals to brown the meat then move up to grid after to finish.
    14 If you like cooking with wine substitute the first cup of broth for a good red wine.
    15 Cutting your own cutting of the chuck roast, rather than stew meat, will result in even browning and cooking of the meat and a better taste.
    16 Chicken broth will give a better taste than beef broth, the look of the stew will be a lighter color. Beef broth will result in a dark color.
    17 Option as suggested by Rusty Rooster – top with biscuits and finish the cook.
    18 Good eggin & eatin

Recipe Type
    Beef, Dutch Oven, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Grandpas Grub, 2008/02/19

Sometimes I use the 1/2 beef and 1/2 chicken stock which gives a better flavor. If one wants a darker color liquid then use all beef stock.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    Thanks, that sounds good too! I have gotten direction and recipes from Grandpas Grub before. All GOOD.
    Thanks so much!! I'm gona shine!!
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    Rick in Crystal Lake wrote:
    Bill,
    Thank you so much. Her family is coming over next Sunday so I have the time to gather all the items I will need. I will use potatos for starch but am considering using the noodles. I don't know if that would be too much of a change. May try it when it's just her and I.
    Thanks again, I feel I'm good to go!!
    One more question: Do you buy the beef already cut (stew beef) or do you cut your own?

i suggested the stew beef to make it easy for you but i cut my own most of the time, as i like the pieces to be the same size. if the stew beef is 'priced right' go with it. if you can do a test run you should. i just cook for my sons, harsh critics, but 'my reputation is not on the line'
    after you have done this once or twice you can experiment...add different vegies etc. i will line the bowl with spinach and pour the hot soup over if i am feeling the need to do something healthy. a bit of red wine is good too. look up julia childs beef burgenoine [spelled wrong but as steve martin once said 'those french, they have a different word for everything'
    also, you can simmer the meat a long, long time just keep adding liquid as needed, it only gets better. since your in laws are the audience....easy on the hickory.
  • Rick in Crystal Lake
    Options
    Got it! B)
    Thanks again
  • ILL--EGGER
    ILL--EGGER Posts: 478
    Options
    Not an egg page but it is all about dutch ovens and I've found it to be helpful.
    http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/
  • Egged stew is great!!!

23MVC-008E.jpg

Dipstick