Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Black tar stuff on top vent

Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
image-display?photo_id=789453&size=sm
<p />I have asked this question before and got quite a few responses, but none of them worked. Time to try again.[p]My Large Egg has accumulated quite a bit of black tar stuff on the outside around the top vent. I would like to get the stuff off and make it look new again. I've tried cleaning it while it is cold, warm and hot. I've used just about every household cleaner there is including Simple Green and ceramic tile cleaner. I have used sponge pot cleaning pads. I have soaked towels with various cleaners and mineral spirits and even some paint thinner and let it sit on the Egg for up to a day. I have used a rotary wire brush in my electric drill, and I have even called it a bunch of sailor names. Nothing works. (Well the brush did take some of it off but I was afraid I would wear through the surface coloring so I stopped). I am beginning to think my Egg is destined to have a discolored blimish. Any ideas would be appreciated.[p]Spring Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Spring Chicken,
    I had a lot of crud built up around the top of mine too,also tried all sorts of stuff.The thing that really did a good job on mine was some stuff from Wallyworld called Greased Lightning.I just sprayed it on, let it set a few minutes,rubbed it a little with a dish brush then wiped it off with a damp rag.Mr EGG looked good as new again.It really surprised and made a believer outta me! Good luck. Bob

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Spring Chicken,[p]I used a Brillo Pad that I wet and rubbed lightly. Came right off. Not sure what the long term affect might be to the finish, so rubbed lightly, no noticable effect on the finish. I've only done once, so again, don't know if there would be a long term affect of doing over years. I'll be interested in solutions for this also.
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Spring Chicken,
    My wife bought a product from Home Depot that works pretty good,it's called Krudd Kuter.
    Larry

• Spring Chicken, I use a Rutland product called fireplace brick and tile cleaner that will cut the creosote you are referring to. Personally I'd hold off using a powered wire brush for fear of minute sratches it can etch in the fired ceramic making it even more susceptible to looking bad.

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Bamabob,
    HELP!!! I tried tracking down Wallyworld and Greased Lightning and all I found was a music supplier and some stuff used in the automotive industry. Point me in the right direction.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Bamabob
    Bamabob Posts: 246
    Spring Chicken,
    I have seen it not only at Wal Mart but at most large grocery stores.It's usually with the cleaning supplies like 409, Lysol etc.The spray bottle I have is a 32 oz.it's made by A&Mcleaning products.Inc. you can check it out at www.greased-lightning.com. Hope you can find it. Bob