Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jalapeno bread and butter pickle recipe?

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was thinking this might be a great spin off from the ordinary bread and butter bit.The hot and sweet possibility seems like a good mix.Has any one tried this with good results?I could not find anything in the recipe section.

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Has any one tried this with good results?

21ee8ca5.jpg

You bet, I make them and they are delicious. I put onions in mine in addition to the jalapenos. I also make jars of just onions too. I tried the traditional canned recipes but I like more crunch so I go with refrigerator mix. My favroite is the ones made by Mrs Wages. I use a lot of her refrigerator products.

dsc00923a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Thanks a lot for the info. I just ordered her bread and butter butter mix.Don't know what the mix is but what I have used for cukes is this

1 large onion sliced thin
    2 cups sugar
    2cups white vinegar
    2 tablespoons salt
    1 tablespoon celery seed
    1 tablespoon mustard seed
    1 tablespoon tumeric

Bring to boil then simmer for five minutes.
    Let cool
    Pour over cukes (in this case peppers)
    Refrigerate 7 to 10 days
    Invert jar every two days

How does this sound?
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    I like mine with chilis that have been roasted, peeled and seeded. I got my pickle recipe from Better Homes & Gardens cookbook. Try other chilis as well as jalapenos!

Enjoy!
    Ken
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    That sounds good. I have tried other refrigerator recipes from scratch that came out good, but like the convenience of using the packages. They are also handy for givin' away because all you do is add sugar and vinegar.

A work of caution, in the photos I just washed and sliced the peppers without removing the seeds which makes for a much hotter batch. I make a couple of pints with seeds and a couple of pints without seeds.

BTW, I hope you ordered the "Refrigerator" mix, as they sell the traditional canning mix and possibly a quick mix too in the bread and butter flavors too.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Those jalapenos look great. I buy the sliced ones in the jar and for snacks I use unsalted tops, saltine crackers, a thin slice of Tillamook extra sharp cheddar cheese and a slice or two of the peppers on top of the cheese.
    I may have to try some like yours. Yummmmmm :)

Cheers,
    Bordello
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Yup.That is the mix that I ordered.Just returned from the store with two pounds of peppers.I'll take your cue and do one wit and one wit out. Sounds like the peppers migrated to to Philly.
    Cant wait to put the on Pizza and sammiches.