Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Consistent Pizza

Options
Mustard
Mustard Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooking pizza on a large egg w/ plate setter - the first one comes out great, 2nd one is a little underdone on top in order not to be overdone (i.e. burnt) on bottom, third one is just about always burnt before the cheese even melts. I've tried different temps, different cooking times, wiping the plate setter down with a wet rag...

How do you guys get consistent results when cooking multiple pizzas?

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    The plate setter is getting hotter as the direct heat rises to the underside.

Get a BGE or Primo pizza stone [not one to use in your inside oven -- it won't stand up to the heat].

Put spacers between your plate setter and the pizza stone... like ceramic feet, or brass elbows from the hardware shop...

The temp stability of the pizza stone will much more resemble the dome temp than the increasing temp of the plate setter.

~ B
    :):):)
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Broc has it..
    I did the same thing. You need a pizza stone. Then you need to make sure you have either some egg feet or something to provide some airflow between the pizza stone and the plate setter. This will help save the bottoms of the pies. You should still wipe down the stone in between the pies. This will ensure your crust is not getting burnt. I had a very similar issue not long ago. This advise made my pies much better. :silly:
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Not using a pizza stone above the plate setter? The plate setter gets hotter as time goes on and becomes way too hot to bake pizza on. I have made some mighty good pizza with a perforated pizza pan. Set-up is plate setter legs up, grid, pizza pan on grid. Dome temp 450-500. The pizza pans make it easy to do one pizza after another. Oil the pan and build the pizza right on it then take the whole thing out to the egg and just set it on the grid to bake. Crust is done when the top is bubbly and browing up.
    The same set-up can be used with a pizza stone in place of the pizza pan. I build the pizza on parchment paper with about an inch of paper exposed all around so I can grab a corner to drag the pizza onto the stone for baking and again to pull it off when it's done. Perfect pizza's. Some folks use a spacer between the pizza stone and the plate setter such as ceramic feet or fire brick instead of using the grid. It's important to have a buffer of air between the pizza pan / pizza stone and the plate setter so the baking surface does not get too hot. :cheer:
    Good luck next time.
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Try this setup Mustard...
    FirstSuccessfulPizza003.jpg

I find with this setup I actually even need to wait a few mins between pies to let the stone get back up to temp after removing the last pie before starting a new one...the air gap helps keep temp of the stone more constant..
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    i use a pizza screen - it's easy to load & great for multiple servings