Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini-egg questions

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We camp year around in a pop up and I am considering a mini egg to pack up and take camping. the advantage of the mini is its easy packability inside my pop-up. What and how much can be cooked on the mini. I thought about a small but it is too big to pack in camper. the mini is just the right size to transport, but i am concerned about how much and what can be cooked on it. thanks for your replies.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    slicktop,

I dont know what kind of camper you have but we dont even pack our small in the camper. We strap him into a seat in the car. [p]I recommend you get a small. Much more room to cook.[p]We are going camping this weekend and taking the small and 2 slabs of ribs.[p]Tom

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    slicktop, I can get the following on my mini:
    1. 4 hamburgers (5 if I squeeze)
    2. 1 cooking hen
    3. 20 wings
    4. 6-8 bratwurst
    5. 10-12 hotdogs
    6. 4 nice size pieces of salmon
    7. 1 pork tenderloin (curled into a U-shape)
    8. 1 slab of ribs (rolled and stood on end ala RhumandJerk)
    9. two nice size steaks
    Now if I could just do them all at once.

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    minicook.jpg
    <p />slicktop,
    Wise One gave you a good answer...Here is a picture of my mini at the beach...I have two grids in my mini and can cook 27 chicken wings at one time.
    Larry

• Unknown
    Options
    TomF, we have a coleman bayside that has front storage space where a mini would fit just fine. i have 3 sons so the vehicle is full. from what wiseone posted i believe there is plenty of cooking space available, especially if i do the two grill thingy. thanks for your reply.[p]
  • Unknown
    Options
    YB, did you get two grids thru the egg shop or somewhere else. the 2 grids would suit me just fine . thanks.

• YB
    Options
    miniring.jpg
    <p />slicktop,
    I had a 1-1/2"x9" stainless seeel ring made...One grid sits on the fire ring and then the stainless steel ring and last the other grid.
    Larry

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    YB,
    That is a pretty cool idea - but I would think the solid ring might impede airflow? Probably not enough to worry about. Think it would work on a large?
    Cap'n

• YB
    Options
    gratedetail.jpg
    <p />Cap'n,
    I made one for my small,medium and large eggs using stainless steel carriage bolts...Here is a couple of pictures of my small egg.You use 3" bolts for the small,3 1/2" for the medium and 4" for the large.
    Larry

[ul][li]Extra Grate[/ul]
  • Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Options
    YB,
    Yeah - I have seen the bolts - thanks for dimensions - am going to the marine supply joint this weekend!
    Cheers,
    Cap'n

• YB
    Options
    slicktop,
    I did get both of the grids for the mini from the egg store.
    Larry

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Options
    YB,
    Hey, when you have those wings on both grids, do you have to switch the grids for more even cooking? Just wondering. : )