Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need table idea

Options
BlackCatBBQ
BlackCatBBQ Posts: 15
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Brand new egger here. My egg is still in the box in my garage just screaming to put together and fired up.

I need a table though since the ground is too uneven to use just the nest. I've priced out the materials to make the Naked Whiz table and it's a bit out of my budget at this point in time.

I've seen some of the metal frame table people have bought and just made a wooden top for it and cut a whole for the egg. I'm having trouble finding a prebuilt table I can modify. Can you guys help me locate one? I've tried Ikea, sears, ect. but no luck. Please help.

Comments

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN2301.jpg
    Look for a 2x4 ft kitchen cart on the internet and get a top from Home Depot.
    My Best,
    Ross
  • BlackCatBBQ
    Options
    That is exactly what I'm looking for. What website did you use to get the cart? Thanks!
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    If you have the tools and time then you can make a nice table out of pine 2x4 rails, pine 2x6 legs, and oak plywood shelves for less than $150 if you keep it simple. Seal it with oil-based urethane / stain, then cover it when not in use and it should last you for a few years before another treatment is needed. I just finished my table like this and it came out great but then I added a bunch of upgrades and went way over budget, although I am very happy with the results and will be posting detailed pics this weekend.

If you don't have the tools or time then you can consider something like this which is only $140 at Harbor Freight, although it may not be large enough for a large egg and I would opt for the wood if you plan to keep it exposed outdoors:
    02648.gif

Also, here is a nice kit which will make a heavy-duty workbench very easily and quickly. You can configure it to space the shelves any way you need. Not bad for $60 with free shipping but of course you still need to get the basic wood and wheels:
    51PD8E8CZEL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
  • Minneggsotan
    Options
    If you have a restaurant supply store in your area (most large cities do) you can usually find metal carts like that there and avoid paying shipping from online stores.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Do you want a rolling table?

My Eggs live in one place, so I built a low, wooden bench that they sit on out of scrap treated 2x... and have a 5' table-top with sink adjacent to them.

Cheap, functional, and not at all unattractive.

Good luck!
    :)
    ~ B
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Ckeck out this site:

A Cheap And Sturdy Work Bench For About $20

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/workshop/bench/below20.html

Pretty sturdy plan. Mods for Egg

1) Definitely don't want to use the OSB. Substiture 1x4, 2x4, or other durable surface.

2) Install a diagonal 2x4 on the back side to stiffen the frame.

3) Adjust dimensions to the desired height of the grill surface.

4) Adjust bottom shelf heigth.

Good luck - All this is hard work and you will need some nourishment. Set that puppy up somewhere and put ribs on it while you are deciding which way to geaux with the table. :woohoo:
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Options
    Ross

I wish I saw your table before I bought my Egg. But at least I know where the next one will be.
  • WileECoyote
    WileECoyote Posts: 516
    Options
    Good info on the cheap table for $20 Frank.

I used that basic concept to build my table and it turned out great. Here are some of the mods I did to fit the egg:

- used 2x6 for the legs instead of 2x4
    - used 19/32" plywood for the shelves
    - added additional 2x4 rails under each shelf to support the egg hole in the counter, the weight of the egg, and the accessories
    - added front-to-back cross rails between the legs on the bottom to support the wheels
    - added 4 caster wheels from a furniture dolly
    - added 1/4" luan plywood to the sides for an enclosed egg table
    - added cement backerboard and tile to the top shelf then trimmed with cedar rails
    - added vinyl siding to the outside walls
    - added sliding doors for the front

When you factor in the cost of top grade wood, quality weather-proof deck screws, urethane and stain, brushes, sandpaper, wood putty, wheels, trim pieces, etc. your raw material comes out closer to $100-150 but it could be less if you avoided the upgrades. Once I got started it was hard to stop upgrading and in the end I probably spent about $400 on all sorts of bells and whistles, not to mention all of my time, but the basic table design is solid and can be done cheaply if you are disciplined and don't mind a spartan table.
  • thillin
    thillin Posts: 33
    Options
    I picked up a butcher block kitchen island off of Craigslist for $20. I should be able to get a pic posted in the next couple of days. I cut the hole and need to clean up the edges. The jigsaw blad kept bowing a little, so I'll use a rasp on it tomorrow.