Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table wood?

OzarkQ
OzarkQ Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Get yer dirty minds out of the gutter. Geeze, I should have known better around here... :laugh:

What types of wood are good choices for the egg table? I saw references to cedar and I know the mothership sells cypress tables. Any advise for choices that have a good cost / performance ratio?

Geoff

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    cedar/cypress are great. naturally rot resistant.

for the love of god, no PT, though. i beg of you! :sick:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • hi Geoff,

I second the motion for cypress. Having been around it my whole life (South AL swamps) I don't trust any other wood for it's durability/cost. Why would you want to make something for outside that you have to sand/paint, re-paint, every couple years because the elements get to it? I understand some northern climate folks maybe not being able to use cypress b/c of price and it may not hold up to extreme cold (although that is just a guess, we don't have that "extreme cold" down here).
    We have a house finished with cypress "siding" -boards, and I just love that weathered look of cypress, along with furniture. No one will convince me to use metal or plastics for anything I can use wood for. I'm a young, Southern Conservative forest-land lover, and I take pride in things made from wood. Just a natural beauty you can't get with production things. (Just my .02)

But, on to your question. Having mentioned that I am a huge supporter of Cypress, if you buy it from a local distributor it should be cheaper than some chain place. I got 16 board feet for about $11. It happened to be rough cut and split in a couple places, but careful planning got it on my table with no problems. -but maybe that's not a normal market price. (I think market is about $3 a bf.)

If you want pictures, just message me and I'd be happy to help. Goodluck!
  • OzarkQ
    OzarkQ Posts: 150
    Yikes! They don't carry cypress up here in southern MO. All I can get is #1 treated pine or #2 cedar - and cedar is through the roof. It's $0.61 vs. $1.80 a foot. Figuring that the pine is going to probably require frequent attention vs. cedar - probably have to just bite the bullet I suppose... :pinch:
  • Check out the cost of redwood - rot resistant as well. Easy to work - generally straight when you buy it and won't move aournd a lot after you put it together.
  • Frank - Is redwood what you used for your tables? Saw the pictures on TNW's site...their beautiful!
  • I am going in a different direction..... Ironwood.

Jeff
  • Yes I used redwood. Added three coats of marine varnish and they look like new. First time working with redwood. Straight, no twist, warps, bows, etc. Maybe I just got lucky but sure was easy to work with.
  • How's the redwood pricing down there? I looked into redwood here in Minneggsota and it seemed remarkable pricey. As beautiful as it is it's probably worth it though...
  • I can't recall the cost per board foot. I loaded the wood for both tables in my truck at a local lumber yard and brought it up front to get priced. When he told me the price (around $250) I did a quick double take. After I caught my breath, decided it was miles ahead of paying $600 for a cypress table. Add in the wheels, hardware, etc and the cost for both tables were around $350. The granite was given to me by a friend and I had the corian stored for a couple years after a kitchen remodel.