Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

FOOD SLICERS

AL
AL Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
WHAT IS A GOOD ONE TO BUY AND WHERE.

THANKS
AL

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I have a Chef's Choice Model 632. Works great. I have the straight and serrated blades.

Not too bad for cleanup.
  • Hobart, Globe, Bizerba, Berkel and Univex are five of the better commercial brands. What Fidel has is a light duty model designed for home kitchen use and I'm sure it is fine for most home tasks. I own a Globe 3500, 1/2 hp. slicer with a 12" blade that I picked up used on ebay for $500. They retailed for about $3800 new. I was told it came out of a defunct grocery's deli dept. It will cut anything you would ever want to cut including hard meats and cheeses up to 1 1/4 inches thick. It also weighs about 90#, so it's not terribly easy to move from place to place. It all depends on what your after.

E-mail me if you want more info. Mark
  • I have the Chef's Choice Model 630. This is similar to Rod's Model 632 but without the tilt feature. Seems like a great slicer for home use. Bought it from a local kitchen store and they matched the best price I could find online. BTW it seems like the price is somewhat fixed on these things, always within a few dollars where ever you find it.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • ViennaJack
    ViennaJack Posts: 357
    AL wrote:
    WHAT IS A GOOD ONE TO BUY AND WHERE.

THANKS
    AL

In the "cheap but still pretty decent" category, there's the Waring Pro FS150. It's noisy but it slices up meat and cheese just fine. I did a little "mod" to mine to make it easier to clean. The stainless steel table on the food holder is sticky taped to the carriage but juices can get down underneath it so it has to be removed when cleaning to get all that cleaned out. I ended up cleaning all traces of the double sided sticky tape away to make it easier to remove. I also use food safe mineral oil to lubricate the carriage so it slides nice and smooth. It weighs 13 pounds so it's easy to put away.

Costco used to sell them for about $90. When I was a cook I used a big Hobart automatic slicer. I could put a giant hunk of meat on there and just let it go to town! This is certainly nothing like the Hobart but it is just right for what I use it for.

http://www.waringproducts.com/ret/catalog/product.php?cat_id=3&product_id=38&item_id=38

http://www.amazon.com/Waring-Pro-FS150-Food-Slicer/dp/B0000ALQ8D
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Thanks for the tip. I've got the Waring Pro. I haven't tried that yet.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    It's probably not a good one, but it works for me. Found it at a garage sale still in the factory box with postage dated in 1984. $15.

I suppose it depends on how much you expect to use one is the determining factor as to how important "good" is. Mine was a "good" deal.

Spring "Sliced Too Thick" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA