Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks to All - Brisket Success

Options
RustyEgg
RustyEgg Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to thank everyone for providing their input on my second brisket cook. It turned out much better than the first. I rubbed with sea salt and cracked pepper prior to placing it on the egg. Cooked indirect at a dome temp of about 250 (grid temp around 220). Using the daisy wheel and the bottom vent was a little challenging to keep the grid temp at 220. Used oak for the smoke (got the idea from the bbq episode on Diners, Dives and Drive Ins). I then wrapped the brisket in foil when it reached an internal temp of 165. Placed in back in the egg and continued the cook until the internal temp reached 190. (I'll attempt to include a picture below.) The brisket was only 4.5 lbs so I'll have to find a bigger one next time as many of you suggest they seem to cook better. The tell tail sign (that I use) is to measure the left overs...none in this case. Everyone enjoyed.

My wife made a zucchini, onion, tomato base sause (addind some provalone cheese to the sause at the end of the cook) and rice to compliment the brisket. Boy, nothing better, it was delicious.

Thanks to all,
Rusty

Sorry I don't have more pictures, the troops were clammering to start dinner. Any interuption would have resulted in mutiny.

Brisket2.jpg

Comments

• Essex County
    Options
    Sound like you did everything right! The briskets I get are usually around that size and you've gotta be careful not to dry it out. Too bad there are no leftovers. I like to eat it cold in a sandwich the next day. It seems like the smoke flavor is more prominent when the meat is cold. And as for pictures...you did a nice job getting one! I have the same problem. No one wants to wait (and some folks find it kind of odd that you're taking pictures of your dinner)!
    Paul
  • RustyEgg
    RustyEgg Posts: 25
    Options
    LOL, everytime I snap a picture of dinner I get a funny look from my wife. I often wonder some day she's going to send someone to put me in a straight jacket and haul me away.

Rusty
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    The Egg is Art..gotta have photos!!..I get weird looks too..haha... :P
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Congrats on the brisket. If you get a whole one with a point, do seperate it at the finish to make burnt ends, or at least a little more cooking. The points are thicker and fatter, and can stand the extra cooking. Tho', just cubed and tossed into chili, they do really well.

My wife indulges me. At Easter dinner, as people began to crowd around with their plates, she said, "Give him a minute, he has to take his pictures."
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    That looks great, I can't wait to try a brisket. I'm waiting for the price to come down though. I dunno why but I always thought brisket was the part of the cow nobody really wanted. You know like brains or guts or testicles or something :laugh: Now my opinion is that they are like chicken wings, nobody really ate them until someone called them "buffalo wings". :huh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Not sure if one could put a 'brisket' the same catagory as those other parts but it is a tough piece of meat and not high on the wish list, unless it is slow cooked.

It is not going to be too long before all the beef prices go up.

GG