Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help needed! Cooking with spirits.

Options
Big'un
Big'un Posts: 5,909
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm concocting some new recipes in which I would like to use rum or other spirits in a marinade. It seems like the last time I attempted these(yrs ago), I ended up with a bitter taste. Does anyone have any input or experience that would be useful! I sure would appreciate it!

Comments

• Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Depends on what you're cooking Big'un..I experiment a lot w/bourbon and have used it successfully on salmon, ham, pork loins, in my bbq sauce, etc...do you have any specific use in mind?
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i think this is a good place to start

vodka.jpg

bacon, is there anyting it cannot do?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    I do it all the time by marinading the part that makes cooking more Eggciting... The Cook. (That would be me)

And on occasion I add a wee bit of bourbon to a honey-glaze for salmon, a considerable amount to bourbon chicken, and a few drops to the injected marinade for briskets.

Bourbon has the best flavor of the spirits, although dark rum (Meyers) is thought to be the better choice for some rum (jerk) infused marinades.

I've already started a rum infusion of the cook on this end. But now I'm too tired to cook.

Spring "Infused and Confused" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Big'un
    Options
    Yes, I am looking at rum and pork(not literally). Isn't there a point when the rum, bourbon, tequilla "sours"? I am wondering about actually marinating or injecting. Does that help?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Cant speak to the souring I have not had that problem with bourbon, I suppose if you added way too much..the only thing I find I have to watch for with bourbon is it will tend to burn the meat or darken it so I keep a close eye when using it in a baste, mop or sauce. Another rule I have and have cited many times on this forum is 'drink the best, cook with the rest'. I use cheap bourbon (it must be bourbon, NOT whiskey) to cook. It is more 'effervescent' and imparts more odor therefore flavor when used to cook. Don't know if it is available all over, but I use Early Times for all my bourbon cooks.
  • Big'un
    Options
    You know, I'm thinkin' that I did use whiskey. I was much younger when I tried cooking with spirits and I know that I didn't have the finances to use good stuff. I'm sure that affected the outcome. I have early times. I'm also wondering if my thinking back then, of using a great deal at a time, also contributed to a poor outcome. I guess I need to resign my thinking of spirits as an ingredient, rather than a pork loin as my really large stir stick in my really, really, large bloody mary. :silly: Thanks.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I like to slpash red (sweet) Vermouth on Beef when grilling.

It's a winner!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Big'un
    Options
    I think you hit it on the head, a wee bit adds a lot.

Nothing wrong with a bit of infusion,
    as long as no delusion, causes destitution to where you need to be kept in an institution. I think. Great hearing from you, Sir Chicken.
  • Big'un
    Options
    I'll have to try that! It sounds like a winner!
  • Big'un
    Options
    I think that you may be one of my newest heroes. Bacon and vodka.("Gee Marge, he always smells like bacon!"Hahaha) Can that taste be described?
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is a bourbon one.

Marinade, All Purpose, Bourbon, JJ

Bourbon marinade with variations:add soy sauce, teriyaki sauce or any other spices to get a different taste.

Ingredients:
    2 Tbs Brown sugar
    2 Tbs Bourbon

Preparation Directions:
    1 Mix together and marinate salmon, pork, steak etc for atleast 2 hours, better overnight in the refridgerator.
    Special Instructions:
    1 Add, soy, or teriyaki sauce or any other spice or herb to get the taste you want.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Author: JJ jack@jgocek.com

Source: BGE Forum, JJ

I like to use Malibu Rum on poultry, especially duck or on fruit for desert.

Dessert, Fruit, Richard Fl

Here is one way I like to do bananas, peaches, pears and apples, pineapple rings or wedges..

Preparation:
    1/4 cup Turbindo sugar.
    1/2 cup Pecans, Walnuts, Macademia, Almond or combination, Coarsley Chopped
    1/4 cup Coconut Flakes, Coarsley Chopped
    4 Tbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 oz Gran Marnier, Amaretto, Myers Rum, Orange or Banana Liquer, Malibu Coconut Rum, (Optional)
    Whip Cream to Garnish

Procedure:
    1 For an interesting dessert, take the coconut flakes, nuts, turbindo sugar, melted butter, and mix with a little, (your choice) gran marnier, amaretto, or liquer of choice or orange juice. Mix into a thick paste. Cut bananas in half lengthwise with skin on,(skin is great after heated) peaches or pears. After the main dish is cooked and the BGE is being shutdown. I place the fruit on the grid (skin on)with the mixture covering the fruit and turn the puppy off. 15-25 minutes later, after the main course is finished, the dessert is ready. Top with blueberries, raspberries,whipped cream, ice cream or whatever you prefer.

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/02/22
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    here is a rum one for you

Marinade, All Purpose, Rum, Hot Chili

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Scotch Bonnet chili pepper, seeds, stem, and veins removed
    1/2 cup rum, dark
    1/4 cup lime juice, fresh
    1 Tbs lime zest, grated
    3/4 cup peanut oil, Asian or domestic
    1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped fresh
    3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
    Kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Procedure:
    1 Puree the chili pepper, rum, and lime juice in a blender or food processor. With the motor running, add the peanut oil a little at a time. Add the cilantro and garlic. The marinade will keep in an airtight jar for about 1 week in the refrigerator.

Servings: 2

Recipe Type
    Marinade

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum

Source: "Dry Rubs, Pastes & Marinades for Poultry, Meat, Seafood, Cheese & Vegetables" by Jim Tarantino, 1992. The Crossing Press, Freedom, CA 95019.

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Evans,
    The red vermouth(sweet) has a lot of various herbs and spices that enhance either in a mixed drink; straight or in cooking.
    The vermouth I use is an american vermouth that won the gold trophy, fair of Rome honors against all the big names. It's on the lable.
    Mitch
  • bourbon IS a whisk(e)y. Early Times own website claims that their product is a Kentucky Whiskey. Dont mean to step on any toes, but to clarify only.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the only one ive tried and did not like was tequila unless it was in a margarita which goes good on fish like striper fillets. vodka sweetens tomato sauces well, calvados goes well with glazes.
    i know ive used grand manier and vermouth, but cant remember what it was in, maybe cooked cabbage
    http://www.greeneggers.net/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=168670&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Big'un
    Options
    I've had the same experience with Tequilla, although I enjoy drinking it straight or in my mojitoes. Thanks.
  • Big'un
    Options
    I think this marinade is almost exactly what I'm needing. I'll need to change a few things though. Thanks bro.
  • Big'un
    Options
    Thanks, that sounds like a real winning recipe. I'll have to try that!