Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BBQ Baked Beans ala Emeril

Options
fiver29
fiver29 Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am going to my Uncle's house for Memorial Day and everyone brings a dish. Today I made BBQ Baked Beans. What follows is the recipe and I followed it exactly except in 2 places.[p]1). I doubled the amounts so it would feed more. AND[p]2). The last 2 hours the beans went on the egg at 250* with a blend of hickory and mesquite chips soaked in beer for 30 minutes.[p]All I can say is wow. They are eggcellent![p]Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.[p]Canadian Cowboy Baked Beans:
3/4 pound dried white beans, picked over to remove any broken beans and stones
1/2 pound bacon, diced
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon Essence
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their juices
1 (12-ounce) bottle lager or ale
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup Canadian whiskey
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves[p]In a large pot, place the beans and cover with water by 3 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until the beans are just tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside. In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium-high heat until brown and the fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, chili powder, Essence, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring, until the onion is soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes and their juices, and cook for 2 minutes. [p]Add the beer, syrup, sugar, stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and bay leaves. Stir well and cook for 1 minute. Add the beans and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and continue to simmer until tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring occasionally, and adding more water as needed to keep the beans covered. [p]Remove from the heat and adjust seasoning, to taste. [p]Yield: 6 to 8 servings[p]
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: Medium[p]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Hey Fiver--
    This recipe refers to 'Essence' which I recall is something Emeril uses in almost everything. He calls it Essence of Emeril. Could you supply us with how to prepare it?[p]I want to make these beans for tomorrow.

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Tractor, Hre it is,I hope

[ul][li]Essence[/ul]
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Tractor,[p]Painter put up the link for the essence. And I actually didn't have any essence so I used JJ's rub as a substitute. Not a bad substitute, eh?[p]Cheers!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Painter,
    THANKS! These beans sound like a winner!