Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken leg quarters

Options
mo egg
mo egg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have some chicken leg quarters to cook, what do you recommend on cooking? direct, indirect, temp. etc. thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I cook them indirect at about 400 I pull them when they look done. About an hour, high heat makes a nice crispy skin.
    ChickenSweetPos.jpg
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I like to do them indirect on a raised grid with a drip pan. 350 dome temo for 90 minutes until they reach 195 internal temp. -RP
    IMG_0768Small.jpg
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    When you slide you corn under your raised rack how long do you cook them?
    Thanks,
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    About 40 minutes, I don't soak them, just clip the silk off the top. -RP
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Indirect at 300 dome till 165-170 AT THE COLDEST POINT OF THE THIGH. Befor cookind make a rub of 2 parts salt, 1 part pepprica, 1/2 prt cummin, 1/2 part ginger, 1/2 part garlic powder and 1/4 part red pepper. Gently pull skin back w/o tearing the skin and place rub under the skin in moderation. 90% of rub that is placed on outside skin will stay there and vice versa the rub place directly on the meat. I also squeeze a lime on them befor rub.
    FIRSTMARCHFOOD010.jpg
    NEW08028-2.jpg
    FIRSTMARCHFOOD012.jpg
    This is pic of whole bird but you get idea! :woohoo:
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Options
    When you say ‘indirect’ do you use the plate setter or do you mean ‘indirect’ by using a drip pan or both underneath the chicken?
    As of up till now I have always done chicken direct but yet indirect because of the drip pan.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Direct is lump to food.

Indirect is anything inbetween lump and food. The amount of indirect is what varies. Some folks use plate setter, plate setter and pan (ususally to keep plate setter clean). Some use pan only or HDTF, pan with sand, pan with water - there are many options.

GG
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03849a.jpg

I like cooking the whole half.....uh, dark halves, but leg quarters are my next choice.

I would have to say my favorite technique is raised direct over a medium hot fire like 275-ish. They take 1-1/2 to 2 hours but are well worth it. When the internal is about 175 I pull them for the rest. You can ramp up the pit temp toward the end to insure crisper skin.

If there is a sauce guy or gal in the house and you want tender bite through skin, remove the pieces to a pan with some thinned sauce, tent with foil, return to the cooker which has been ramped down(or use your oven) at 225 degrees for about an hour.

DSC04403aa.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • AuntieEgger
    AuntieEgger Posts: 258
    Options
    Thanx for the reply’s. Wow that chicken looks mouth watering delish thirdeye!!!
    I’ve got my chicken on now ,, a SC and some thighs. Put it on raised grid, direct with a drip pan underneath @ 350F. The last time I cooked chicken it wasn’t quite done yet ,, blood around the bone in spots so I will leave it on another half hour this time.

AuntieEgger