Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When Are Ribs Done?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing two racks of BBs as we speak and they're humming along at 235 indirect. One rack has mustard and JJ's; the other just kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.[p]My question is, how do I know when they're done? I flipped them after one hour and they were pretty darn brown already. I have a polder so I suppose I could find enough meat to stick it in.[p]I was timing my cook based on the lower temps but it looks as though dinner may be a bit early.[p]Whatever the outcome, they sure smell great![p]Thanks!

Comments

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]Should take 3.5 - 4 hours but the best way to tell is when the meat has pulled back 3/4" from the thin end of the ribs. Usually a good indicator.

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    Test with a fork after about 3-3.5 hrs. Fork should go in easy with very little resistance. Two tine fork is best to use.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Skwerl X,[p]The ribs will always look great long before they are done. I prefer to give a twist on a bone to get the feel for how the meat is grabbing the bone. When you think you could twist the bone free, they are ready to eat. The cook should last 3-4 hours.[p]Spin
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Skwerl X,
    If you've got a very thin insta-read thermometer, here's some target numbers I use. If I want'em tight to the bone, I pull'em at 170-180. If I want'em to fall off the bone, I take'em to 190-200.[p]Cb[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    char buddy,
    I did poke the polder in there at the three hour mark and they were right at 200. I slapped some sauce on them and opened up the vents to let it cook in some.[p]They were awesome <patting self on back>