Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg In Garage/New Patio

Options
Wonka
Wonka Posts: 68
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know this must be a supreme fire hazard, so please kids don't try this at home.

We just had a patio put in over the last 3 days, so I wanted the XL far away from the action as possible. That meant I had to cook the last 2 nights in the garage. I set up a fan to blow most of the smoke out the door and kept a fire extinguisher close by just in case. Even though I was cooking ribs for 5.5 hours, I still checked on the Egg every 10 minutes or so.

EggInGarage.JPG

Here's our boring backyard 4 days ago:

BackyardBefore.JPG

And now all done!

Finished1.JPG

Finished3.JPG

As soon as I can get 3 strong college students to help me, the Egg will be back in its rightful place. I hope to have the table done soon, but it'll have to enjoy the nest for a few more weeks.

Comments

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Nice work --

~ B
    :)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Yep not smart for a number of reasons, but the patio does look good.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    forget about fire hazards. think carbon monoxide.

i had a car running in the garage, and two floors above me, behind three or four closed doors, the CO monitor went off in just under a literal couple (as in TWO) minutes. you can't smell it, you can't be sure to fan it out, and you won't "feel it" before it gets to you.

it is produced every time you use a charcoal grill, and it's produced in copious amounts. anyone worried about using galvanized bolts in their egg but unconcerned about CO has really thought things through.

get it out of your garage. i know, i know, "you know what you are doing". great. now, please, just get it out of the garage. my garage door was open too, by the way.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Butt butt butt you turn such a pretty shade of red....

The cure of which is at least 6 hours in a hyperbaric chamber breathing 100% Oxygen. Just so you know not all chambers are big enough for you to sit up and walk around in. The only one I ever had the pleasure of being in made me feel like a cigar in a humidor. Least it was glass and I could see the TV.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Great job! Thanks for sharing!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    Nice looking back yard. I have the brick pavers inside my screen room. I like the way you design the pavers, something different. You look like your in Florida also where are you in this sunny state.
  • Smokin Tiger
    Options
    Nice patio! Be very careful moving your egg and remember, pull, don't push when moving it around.

TC
  • Wonka
    Wonka Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks, all. The credit for the design goes to my wife.

PMB, I'm not far from you over in the Lutz/Land O' Lakes area. (Just north of Tampa for those not familiar.)

Since we have to go about 100 feet over thick grass and around a planter bed, I opted for the moving technique of using 4 strong guys to carry the XL. It's not bad when it's only 50 pounds each. I plan on the same technique to get it in the table.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    That takes me back to my diving days. Luckily I never had the experience, but a dive buddy got the bends one time and the only chamber was at the Naval Base in Pearl Harbor.

Watching someone go through that makes you think twice.
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    Nice Job!
    What state are you in...looks like Texas or Florida

John
    Okeechobee, Fl
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Yeah sure, you just wanted to show off your beautifull new patio and your pink flamingos. :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    At least they have a nice patio to pitch a tent while the house gets rebuilt...
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas