Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking With A Cracked Firebox

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all,
I was planning to do my first butt this weekend but discovered my firebox cracked. I've already contacted the company and they're sending a replacement butI have guests coming next weekend and I was really counting on being able to dazzle them with my (read:the Egg's) cooking ability.
The firebox itself is still intact although when its hot, the crack opens up considerably due to thermal expansion. I'm pretty confident about doing quick steaks, etc...,but I'm wondering if it would safe to attempt a long cook such as a butt.[p]Thanks and cheers!

Comments

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    Skwerl X,
    As long as the firebox will still hold lump - you should be fine. The increase is the size during hot cooks should not be an issue in lo & slo as the temp will be considerably less (250-260). Just pay close attention and you will still be able to dazzle them!
    Cap'n

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Skwerl X,[p]A cracked firebox still intact will perform just fine. Go grill some steaks, and cook that butt.[p]Puj
  • Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Cap'n,
    i have a cracked firebox as well just cooked a fantyastic butt about a week ago low and slow will be a great cook to do crack or no crack

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Skwerl X,[p]Four years ago I cooked a meal with a firebox that did not have a crack - I have never cooked one since over an uncracked firebox. You never need to remove a firebox unless you want to move the whole cooker - no need to remove them to clean out the ash, so unless it crumbles into a pile - store your replacement and keep using the old cracked one. You will be in good company since many of us are doing that and have been for years.[p]Enjoy your meal tonight!![p]Tim
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Yo Cap'n,[p]How'd those burgers turn out? What temp did you end up using?
    What else you got planned to slap on the egg for the weekend, eh?[p]Glad to know you're righteously breaking in your new toy.
    Q on you.[p]WD[p]

• Skwerl X,
    Here's my "me too" post.[p]I've had a cracked firebox for the last 50 or 60 cooks or so. Like others, I did order a replacement. However by the time it got here I had done several successful cooks and just set the replacement aside.[p]Maybe I'll need it someday, maybe I wont. I probably wont.[p]Don't worry about it. In fact, there are many here (like me) who think that if the firebox came in 2 or 3 pieces right off the bat, it would never break from expansion. You still have the ceramic mass doing it's job, and some little fissures shouldn't really affect the performance.[p]bc

• Cap'n
    Cap'n Posts: 72
    WooDoggies,
    Well - think I need a little fine tuning on the burgers...600...next time will do it on an elevated grill as it will be easier to flip...also will make them a bit less fat (thinner)...but in the end, even with the problems, they were tasty![p]When are you coming back up to my part of the world?
    Cap'n