Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chimichurri Chicken and Planked Potatoes

FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh yeah. This is my favorite way to do chicken. These bits marinated in the chimichurri for 2 days. They were so good - the balsamic and garlic went all the way to the bone.

Grilled on raised grid indirect at 375 for about an hour. Thighs hit 190 and were very crispy.

ChickenOn800.jpg

ChickenDone800.jpg

The planked potatoes were very good and easy to do. Nice complement to the chicken.

TatersOn800.jpg

TatersDone800.jpg
·

Comments

• pop-a- toppop-a- top Posts: 184
    Potatoes look very good.
    ·
  • JLOCKHART29JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Those look great even w/o the bbq sause. Got a link or recipe for chimichurri? :woohoo:
    ·
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    Oh no...no BBQ sauce on chimichurri.

I improvised a recipe that was posted here some time ago, it is not exactly traditional but i like the mix of flavors.

1 cup chopped cilantro
    6 cloves minced garlic
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 onion, minced
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
    juice of 3 lemons
    1tsp fresh rosemary, rough chopped

Mix it all together and marinate your chicken for 24-48 hours in a gallon ziploc. When the egg ir at temp, take chicken from the bag and place it on the grid. Don't knock off the goodies that stick to the chicken pieces. I don't flip or anything until they hit finish temps.
    ·
  • TomM24TomM24 Posts: 1,364
    Very Nice and you remembered to garnish the potatoes wish I did. :(
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    thanks

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
    They still ate good didn't they! ;)
    ·
    Yes sir, Thanks!! Will add to favorits on my computer when I get off this morning! ;)
    ·
    Does the chicken just change to that dark color after cooking? Thought the 1st chicken pic on grill was almost done and 2nd was done with bbq sause.
    ·
  • BootlegBootleg Posts: 49
    I have a very dumb question. What part of the chicken did you use, thighs? They don't look like chicken breast. Thanks!

DCM
    Evans, GA
    ·
    Sorry. Four thighs and two breasts.
    ·
  • AZRPAZRP Posts: 10,116
    I really like that 190+ temp on my dark meat chicken parts. -RP
    ·
    That first pic was when they were first put on.

The second pic is right after they were pulled - no sauce. No wood added either.
    ·
    Me too. Better texture and just as juicy - but the skin gets crispy.

I have the timing down to where the breasts are still in the 160-165 range. I do a lot of chicken parts.
    ·
  • beautiful

great color on that chicken
    ·
  • JCinGAJCinGA Posts: 139
    Fidel,
    The Chicken looks great. Where did you find the recipe for the potatoes?
    Thanks,
    Jim
    ·
  • Fidel,
    Can you tell me what your grill set up was, and how long/temp you planked the potatoes. They look great!Thanks a lot.
    ·
    I cooked everything indirect at 375. I cooked the chicken on raised grid for the first 45 minutes, then put it on the bottom grid and put the planked potatoes on the top grid for the final 30 minutes.
    ·
  • Thank you, kind sir.
    ·