Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My new medium egg

milesofsmiles
milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For the most part I will be doing lo n slo cooks. How long should I get on a full load on bge lump. Say at about 212-220 ??? Then say 300 ? Maybe nekid w. has some info. Thanks Miles.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Congratulations Miles with your new egg.

Kent
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    From one granpa to another THANKS, Twas a pleasure to cook on yesterday. Miles out.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Miles,

I am not sure of my facts, but I recall some posts saying with one load of lump there more than enough time to low and slow brisket and butt.

The other day I filled the medium to the top of the firebox did a 4 hour 300°, cranked the temp to 450° continued on for 1.25 hours and put on the green dome to choke out the fire. I went back in, no new lump, lit and cooked another hour at 400° and again shut down. I still have lump for another higher temp burn.

I used RO lump with small to medium pieces.

For me it is looking pretty good so far.

Kent
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Congrats on the addition. i have done cooks of shoulders and briskets in excess of 18 hours on a single load of lump using a guru, and i find they use more lump then a lo-n-slo without them .
    i miss my med but will be back in NM next week to reunite for a week.
  • Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Whenever I do a lo-'n-slo, I fill the lump in my Medium nearly to the top of the fire ring... then I don't worry about it.

~ B
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I've always assumed that my mediums will cook just as long as a large filled the same way. It will just be cooking somewhat less food.

The kind of lump makes a huge difference. Cowboy goes really fast. Royal Oak, the maker of BGE lump, always goes considerably longer.

So for ribs, expecting 5 - 7 hours, not using a platesetter, but a drip pan, a full firebox always is enough, no matter what lump. For bigger hunks, I go at least half way up the fire ring with RO. I've had 17 hour burns with that much, with a little left over.

I've never used up a full fire box with the dome at 300 faster than 5.5 hours after the food went on.
  • Congrats. I just got a medium to keep my XL company. We spent a long wet cold rain and snow night at a contest weekend before last. One good load went from 11pm to 2 pm with BGE lump left over. The medium was the center of our world for keeping warm, drying clothes and keeping the old finger from freezing.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Congrats I love my medium and wouldn't trade it for anything even though I do covet a small :evil: . Did about 18 lbs of butt during the winter with outside temp of 40 using "Q". Was Ozark Oak lump and filled up to 1 1/2 inch below platsetter. "Q" set at 250 and burned for 17 hrs with about 1 or 2 hrs lump left. "Q" was running 70% at the end so if you were doing ala natural your temp would be it the gutter unless you had been watching it.
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    This past week I filled my Medium up to the top of the firering with Nature's Glo lump. I used two starter cubes on top of the coals (well buried a little) and one under the grate (I lit it through the bottom vent). As soon as the cubes went out, I started watching the temps and caught the temp when it started going up, when it got to 275 I closed the bottom vent till it was only open 1/4 inch and closed the daisy wheel petals till they were about 1/4 inch. I got 20 hours out of this set up. It settled at 250 dome the entire time.

Hope this helps.