Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small owners, need some help...

Options
Grandpas Grub
Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have now had a few cooks on the small.

How is everyone cleaning out the ash? The vent opening is a bit small to use the ash tool?

Grandpas Grub

Comments

• Double Bogey
    Options
    They sell an ash tool for the small but I just lift out the fire ring and box every now and then and give it a good cleaning. I suppose you could use a shop vac and clean most of the ash out through the vent.
    Larry
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Pull good lump and use a shop vac (after the egg is cooled)
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    next time you are at wally world or other dept store pick up a small curtain rod for under $2 and pull apart. you now have two improvised ash tools both with a 90 degree bend and nice long handle.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    my small came with a ash tool for the small... did you not get one???? seems a little weird :blink:

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Broc
    Broc Posts: 1,398
    Options
    Yep -- Shop vac... which I also use on the Medium...

:)
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thanks all for the help.

I didn't get a small ash tool, but rather than purchasing one I will try the curtain rod routine.

I have thought several times about a shop vac but I really don't want another appliance. 3 eggs 2 gas smokers & 2 gassers are enough out on the patio.

I dicided I need to go more green. So my contribution to this going green thing is that every cooking device that is not green is going this spring. Then there is one more green thing to get - the mini.

Kent
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    What a great idea! Can't say that I've ever seen this before mentioned.
    Hammer
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    I have a small Craftsman 2 gallon portable shop vac...works great for the Small and the Large.

I like a clean egg, so I vac it out every 2 or 3 cooks...JMO!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    By now you may know I like to make things myself. This is my Small BGE clean out tool made with a a piece of scrap, strap steel with a piece of brass that is .75" x 1.5" pop-riveted on the 90° end. The key ring end was for the heck of it!IMG_0962.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Chubby thanks for jumping in and the comment. I need to look at that vac. it might be the ticket. I keep thinking the ash will just fill up the filters too quick.

GG
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I have no idea why this didn't come through!

IMG_0962.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    LOL...

When I saw you post, before clicking to open, my mental image was an extension from your dust collection out to the eggs.

Thanks for the picture,

Kent
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    The picture came through when I opened it. I am using clasic/narrow view.

Kent
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    I just use my shop vac when it needs to be clean. Sometimes I just use a small hose threw the vent. The small ash tool was a waste of money as far as I am concern.