Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Liquor Questions..or is is Licker??

Options
Char-Woody
Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long will bourbon whiskey stay in decanter bottles before turning into a vinegar solution. I have a dozen or more old decanters and a recipe here for good old Jack Daniels Tennessee sippin whiskey. But I have some old Kentuck Bourbon stuff to use up. Any experts out there??[p]I have had these for around 40 years old and many were dated 20 year old bourbon when bottled. Got a good whiff to it..:-)[p]I wanna make some ripe pulled pork sauce from a recipe I found today. Says it gets better in the fridge with age. 1/2 cup of Jack Daniels is in the recipe...Thanks..
C~W

Comments

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Didn't think bourbon turned - it just let the alcohol evaporate over time - but I am no expert. I just had some Jim Beam at my mom's house last month and I know that it has been in that 1/2 gal bottle (1/4 full) for 10 years. I dislike Jim Beam but it was "the only ship at the dock". So it longer than 10 yrs.[p]Tim
  • dan c
    dan c Posts: 31
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Not that I'm an expert on storing it, sippin' maybe...If the bottles are unopened they will last indefinately. If they are opened the worst that will happen is they will get a little musty or stale tasting. They don't really become "rurint". It's a matter of what your palate can stand. Surely ok for cooking.
    You don't have any Elvis decanters do ya??
    dan

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    They are all bad. Cause I'm such a good friend, send them all to me immediately before you get sick or go blind or somethin'. Hay what are friends for. I'll even send you a bottle of new stuff.[p]MAC

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    I don't think the bourbon's going to turn nasty; it's supposed to be aged, after all. But I'd be a little wary of the decanter. I read somewhere that good lead crystal can leach lead into alcohol-based beverages. So...that fine hand-cut Waterford decanter could give you lead poisoning if it's storing liquor. Now, if the liquor's been in the original bottle, I wouldn't think there'd be a problem. Nor is it a problem to have a drink served in lead crystal glasses because it's consumed WAY before the lead can be harmful. At least when I'm drinking it.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Mary
    Mary Posts: 190
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Bourbon or any other distilled liquor will never turn to vineger. vinegar is made by yeast and yeast are killed at about 15% alcohol concentrations. the 40 - 50% alcohol concentrations wouldn't let any yeasties live. Gretl's right about the lead in leaded crystal.i remember reading aobut that too.[p]Mary

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Had a conversation with the 'wine guy' in my fav local specialty store about leaded crystal. It was a while back but the jist that I remember stopped me from storing whiskey or scotch in my leaded crystal for more than a month or so. If they've been in thar for 40 years I'd definately err on the side of caution.[p]He did say that if you spent the apparently inordinate amount of money that it costs to buy silver crystal with silver rather than lead it's AOK indefinatlely.[p]Though many have accused me of eating lead paint chips as a young 'un I'd stay away from the bourbon even though it's really, really tempting. We'd hate ta lose ya! =)
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    dan_c, No, non of "Old Swivel Hips" but I have seen a lot of em pass thru the auction blocks here rather cheap. One auction had over 20 of em..all sizes! Thank's for the tips!
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Gretl, you folks are selling me on using it. Its in a glass fruit jar right now..After all my transfering the wiffy cleaned counters with Clorox Bleach. I think I will go find me some of that old whisky barrel furniture :-)
    Your on the money with the lead crystal. I had forgotten about that..Thanks..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Mary, Yahoooo...boy have I got a supply of old bourbons of all brands to use up..Thanks bundles,
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Seattle Todd,
    I talked it over with myself, and I would hate to lose me too..(others might disagree tho). heeeeee!![p]I will check those decanters closely as I whip up these pulled pork BBQ sauces. Since I stole the recipes from another source I will have to give kudo's when I post em...[p]Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    MAC, I can handle sick..but going blind would do me in! Gotta go get supplies shortly..Thanks..C~W[p]
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    Char-Woody, don't risk it. Pack the junk up in break-proof packaging and ship it to me for proper disposal. If any of it is in lead crystal, I can handle that too. Lead only causes brain damage, so I'm immune.:)