Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dome temp for prime rib? Two different views...

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everyone,

Found a nice 2-bone frenched prime-grade rib roast at the butcher counter this morning, so I went to the normal sites I go to for the cooking/finishing temps, and this is what I found:

- MadMax and WessB prescribe a 325 deg dome temp
- TRex and Thirdeye recommend a 250 deg temp

Rounding up, I get 288 degrees. hehe. What temps have you cooked the roasts when you've done it?

Gotta go the cooker ready, because this time I'm doing the sear up front. The last two times I've cooked prime rib, I've done the sear at the end, and I wasn't really excited about how the top of the roast was looking after that. They did taste great, though.

Thanks for the pointers.

Comments

• Konrad "Teddy Bear"
    Options
    I've got a full boneless prime rib on the XL right now. I like 3 hours or more at 180-200 and a 225-275 finish. A 350 finish and you better allow for a good sized bounce if you want medium rare.
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    i follow mad max wess b. start higher 450 ish and immediatly start bring the temp down. this was 3 rib dry aged prime cooked direct and turned .

ribeye005.jpg

ribeye009.jpg

julia child discusses tthe craig claiborne method... put in oven at 500 for 15 min per pound and turn off oven and do not open for 2 or more hours. gives crunchy outside rare inside.
    think i will try this one day but not with a hunk of prime .
  • Konrad "Teddy Bear"
    Options
    That looks really good. I guess my competition roots always motivate me to go for the smoke ring.
    Prime_Rib.jpg
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    thanks for posting that, julia mentions a 200 degree oven 1 hr per pound as well. i never really thought of 'smoking' prime rib. always just egged like the egg was an oven. what kind of wood? i like hickory with beef. i am anxious to see the finsihed product. wish i could retire and just stay home and egg .
    bill
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you can cook them slow at 250, and maybe evenbump them at the end for a crust. or go 400, 500 up front early on the cook, backing temps down after the crust is formed.

you can cook that thing any way you want, really.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Konrad "Teddy Bear"
    Options
    I'm a huge cherry fan and Washington is a great state for cherries. Smoked prime rib is a real treat. Pictures are all from today
    Prime_Rib_2.jpg
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    IMG_0155a.jpg
    Found a nice 2-bone frenched prime-grade rib roast at the butcher counter this morning, so I went to the normal sites I go to for the cooking/finishing temps, and this is what I found:

- MadMax and WessB prescribe a 325 deg dome temp
    - TRex and Thirdeye recommend a 250 deg temp
    Rounding up, I get 288 degrees. hehe. What temps have you cooked the roasts when you've done it?

Hey man, I like your thinking on the averaging of the pit temps in two proven methods. As far as searing goes, searing up front verses end searing both have some advantages ....... I guess now is not the time to discuss the technique of cooking raised direct. :whistle:

Let us know how your roast turns out, of course with pictures.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Just finished up the jasmine rice, along with a green bean and mushroom casserole which will be served along with the roast. The DigiQ says that the meat probe is reading 133 deg, so I'll be pulling out the roast and sending the bone section back to finish up.

Once again, a big THANK YOU to you guys for chiming in and making the cook go easier. Just for the record, the pit temp was stuck at about 273 deg for the first hour and stabilized at 250 during the last hour. I set the ramp mode to "ON" after the temp hit 125. Yup, there are some folks here who don't like their prime rib bleeding all over the place. That's OK--they can fight over the end pieces :)

I'll have pics later this evening after everything is all cleaned up.
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    that is jaw dropping, drool on the keyboard perfect.
    bill