Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jamaican Jerk Pork

WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What cut of pork is recommended for this? Does anyone have a favorite recipe for Jamaican jerk pork?

Comments

• WudEyeDoo,
    Go to Recipe section, sauces-rubs-marinades. Try jerk rub with raspberry glaze (2 recipes). I use pork tender loin.[p]Grillin Bill

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    WudEyeDoo,[p]Here are 2 very good jerk recipes. Tim cooks the chicken on our team and has developed his own recipe.[p]The cut of pork to use..........since rubs and marinades don't penetrate very deep, I prefer a tenderloin, chop or even a regular loin. A butt or picnic is much too thick to take advantage of the taste.[p]Enjoy![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Jerk Paste [p]3 Green onions
    2 teaspoon Allspice
    1 teaspoon Salt
    1 teaspoon Ginger, fresh
    1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg
    1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
    2 Garlic clove(s)
    4 Bay leaf(s)
    2 tablespoon(s) Oil
    2 Jalapeno peppers, diced
    1 Habanero chiles[p]PREPARATION:
    Put everything except oil in food processor and chop fine. [p]Add oil slowly until smooth.[p]Coat both sides of meat and let sit for several hours or overnight.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Tim's Jerk Paste [p]1 large Onion(s), chopped
    4 Scallion(s), chopped
    4 clove(s) Garlic, chopped
    1 - 4 Habanero chiles
    3 Bay leaf(s)
    1 teaspoon Allspice
    1/2 teaspoon Thyme
    1/4 teaspoon Cloves
    2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
    2 teaspoon(s) Salt
    1/4 cup Rum, dark
    3 tablespoon(s) Lime juice[p]PREPARATION:
    Heat olive oil and saute everything except salt, rum and lime juice.[p]Turn heat up and add salt, rum and lime juice.[p]Simmer until liquid is absorbed.[p]Rub paste on meat and let sit overnight. [p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Stogie,
    You are unbelievable. UFB.
    Keepin my printer busy you are.
    Thanks for this righteous stuff you've been generously donating
    !
    Schwarzbiers to you!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • ChicagoQ
    ChicagoQ Posts: 20
    WudEyeDoo,
    I like to use a fresh pork ham, and remove the bone, and open the whole thing up into a relatively flat cut. Learned this from Stephen Raichlen in "How to Grill", it's very well illustrated and the marinade recipe with it is authentic and delicious. Soaked allspice berries on the coals give good flavor as well...

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Nature Boy,[p]Yo Chris![p]Thanks for the kudos! Always willing to share a recipe or 2. I take pride in the fact that every recipe I post has been tried several times and passed my cigar-enhanced palate tests.[p]Stogie
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    WudEyeDoo,
    If you want to, you could use a Pork Butt to do Jerk Pulled Pork. Put the jerk rub on the meat and let it sit for two days when I would put it on for a low and slow burn. Jerk Pulled Pork is a nice treat. Use a fruitwood like apple for the smoking wood. [p]I normally use a boneless pork loin for Jerk Pork in which case I would cook it direct at 325-350 turning every fifteen minutes until the internal temperature reaches 155.[p]I would suggest using a commercial wet Jerk Rub the first time, just so that you know the flavor and heat level that you are looking for. Try Mrs. Dog’s, Eatons, Walkers Woods or what you can find.[p]By the way, I have even made Jerk Ribs. Mmmmmm, tasty.[p]Hope this helps,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• JimE
    JimE Posts: 158
    WudEyeDoo,
    Try this link, but use pork tenderloin instead.[p]http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=106516