Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-spicy chicken wings

Options
billex
billex Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All
Does anyone have a recipe for non-spicy chicken wings ,Also how long/what temp?
For about 20-30 wings.
Thank to all and have a food filled holiday
billex

Comments

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    billex,[p]Try this one that I placed on Basso's forum a few years ago. I've had kudos from all over the world about it. [p]Virtually all the heat from the hot sauce and pepper flakes cook away or you can leave them out of the recipe altogether. Don't skip the chili powder however IMHO.[p]K~G[p]
    [ul][li]mild wings[/ul]
  • Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    billex,[p]Here is a pretty good one for non-hot.[p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Chili-Lime Wings [p]5 pound(s) Chicken wings
    1 cup Lime juice
    7 ounce(s) Green chilies, diced
    2 tablespoon(s) Garlic powder
    2 1/2 tablespoon(s) Paprika
    1 tablespoon Sugar
    1 tablespoon Salt
    1 tablespoon Lemon pepper
    1 tablespoon Soy sauce, dark
    1/4 cup Olive oil[p]PREPARATION:
    Puree chilis in food processor.
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Marinade wings for 2-8 hours.
    Grill and baste often with marinade.

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Grill your wings with no rub or marinade, or rub them with salt and pepper. When they are almost done, brush them with your favorite barbecue sauce and cook them for about five minutes more.
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Kevin,[p]Good to see ya posting here and sharing your recipe expertise! Thanks a heap for that Un-conventional cheese burger recipe you provided me last week. It was supurb![p]K~G

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    KennyG,[p]Thanks Kenny!! Sorry I missed you at the Michigan gathering...perhaps another time.[p]Glad you liked the burger. Here is another one that is quite different. [p]Enjoy!![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Couzan Billy Burger [p]CATEGORY(S):
    Beef[p]INGREDIENTS:
    1 Beef patty
    1 slice Red onion, 1/2" thick
    BBQ Sauce
    1 ounce Cheese, Bleu
    1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    6 drop(s) Tabasco
    1/4 cup Mayonnaise
    Salt and pepper to taste[p]PREPARATION:
    Grill the onion and brush BBQ sauce on each side.
    Loosely wrap in foil and set aside.
    Grill burger to your doneness.
    Toast the buns.
    Combine the remaining ingredients.
    Place onion slice on bottom bun followed by beef patty.
    Top patty with generous dollop of bleu cheese mixture.
    Top with bun.[p]Eat! [p]Serves 1

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    billex,[p]I've found that these disappear VERY fast.......just about the best darn "non spicy" wings I've tried.[p]
    [ul][li]Smikin' Eddie's Wa Wa Wings[/ul]
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    billex,[p]I second using the recipe KennyG offered and like to use it as is. The heat is very mild, with the flavor being such that they are quite good with no sauce at all.[p]I prepare the wings by removing the wing tip, the wing skin flap, and any fat. Cook direct on the grill using a 275° dome temp, flipping/moving every 15 minutes to provide even cooking. They are done in 60-75 minutes.[p]Check for doneness by flexing the joint. When they feel like you could easily pull them apart, they are ready to eat.[p]Spin
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    billex, also try ChefRD's wings - just hold back on the pepper and hot sauce. They truely a work of art and a nice compliment to a very cold beer! :~}[p]
    08_12_0012_30_03_small.jpg
    a better look...
    Wings_04_02_00_04.jpg[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Gfw,[p]
    ???? what happened there? I don't have a digital camera, so you'll have to take my word on this.[p]I've made ChefRD's wings several times and mine always come out a beautiful golden/bronze color. Until I brush the crunchy skin with the hot sauce/butter mixture, then they are the lovely orangey Buffalo Wings color.[p]I do them on my WSM without a water pan, direct heat, but my grate must be further from the coals that your Egg grate is. It takes longer, but my wings look like deep-fried or oven-roasted Buffalo wings. No black, brown or maroon coloring at all. [p]Lee[p]

[ul][li]ChefRD wings[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    QSis,
    You described the way way my Chefrds wings turn out on my WSM to a "T".. Like crisp golden fried chicken.
    I think they cook better on the WSM (dont have a cow guys, its only a pit) because we are 17 inches from the fire and the egg is only 5, set up like you see in that picture.. Great recipe Chef..[p]Dylan

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Q.N.E. tyme,
    I agree witchall. Just got finished some a few minutes ago. I like them on an extended grate, like you said about a foot and a half from the fire...and try not to get over 275 dome. Usually takes just over an hour flipping (and moving around) every 15-20. Wonderful, and hold the black![p]Then again the photo of Gfw's is a tad contrasty, and prolly nuthin like the real thing.[p]Mr. RD's recipe is a winner.
    Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw
    Options
    Guess I like them off the egg - make them about every 2 weeks and haven't had any go to waste yet! The color results from a healthy coating of (spicy) BBQ sauce during the last 30 minutes... goes better with cold beer and like I said, no waste :~}
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    Dang! Sometimes these words don't say what I want!
    I do wings on my egg also. [p]I was thinking maybe the real dark areas in your photos were not actually as dark in real life as they appear in the photo![p]Hope I didn't come accross like I didn't want to!
    Life is good indeed!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Howdy Spin,
    Can you describe the "wing skin flap"? is that on the end of the fat part with a little pocket of fat under it?[p]I love how the wings look like deer footprints after cutting off the wingtip (easily amused I guess).[p]I still want to try doing those "cocktail" wings, like your daughter did in that awesome chicken-cutting web project.[p]Beers to you, and a hug to Sue.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I knew somebody was going to ask :-}.[p]The flap of skin I remove is the "wing" skin that stretches between the drummette (the single bone piece that connects to the body) and the wing flat (the two bone piece that connects to the drummette). I only remove any fat that may be hanging from the drummette where it attaches to the body.[p]Karli made 80 cocktail style wings that where cooked on the mini Eggs at the after Eggfest party. KennyG and I made sure that a nice variety of dipping sauces were available, but none were used.[p]The website is still available below.[p]Sam Adams Summer Ale is planned in a short while,
    Spin

[ul][li]Cutting up a Bird 101[/ul]
  • Gfw
    Options
    Nature Boy, no problem - actuially they do get a little dark - mostly from the sauce - but, they sure tast good - have a great weekend - we're off for a little Italian tonight - this is anniversary number 33 - I really can't believe she put up with me this long :~}

• Nature Boy
    Options
    Gfw,
    33 years! Whoah nelly. Congrats to you both! [p]Have a special evening....and weekend!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Spin,
    I thought you might be talking about that crinkled up group of skin between the "elbow" joint. I have not removed that before. Will have to try.[p]Thanks for posting that chicken cutiing masterpiece again. WHAT a work of art. Very helpul stuff.[p]"Marli made 80 cocktail style wings that where cooked on the mini Eggs at the after Eggfest party. KennyG and I made sure that a nice variety of dipping sauces were available, but none were used."[p]Yeah, that is what happens when people are partying away! The wings were plenty good by themselves, and people seemed to just want to party rather than messing with the sauce. [p]Reminds me...At the first eggfest, Gretl made this killer asian slaw to go with the squid I was making. People skipped that too. Funny how no matter how much you plan...what happens happens![p]Enjoy those sammy adams!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com