Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig anatomy question for a newbie egger

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may be a very elementary question for most here, but I was wondering what the difference was between a pork shoulder picnic
roast and a Boston Butt?? My local SuperSaver has picnic roasts on
sale for .88 cents/lb. Can I smoke one of these and then "pull" the
meat for sandwiches, as I've heard some do with a Boston Butt?
Thanks, I'm a shy "lurker" mostly, but do appreciate the wisdom
imparted on this board regularly by so many of you experienced
eggers. Wally

Comments

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    WallyPost,
    Honey, these folks on this Forum will give you all the help you could possibly wish for. I, too thought a butt could never be a shoulder, although I knew that one could have one's butt on one's shoulder, but these great people straightened me out. Never be shy about asking.......it is all about learning and sharing!

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WallyPost,
    The picnic cut makes great pulled pork. The yield of pulled pork is smaller per/pound than with a picnic than with a boston butt, and the meat has a slightly stonger flavor...but only very slightly. Basically the pulled product is about the same. I have been removing the skin with a sharp knife, and leaving a thin layer of fat. Though it can be cooked with the skin, removing it leaves you more useable bark and seasonings.[p]Best way to see if it works right for you is to shell out a few bucks and slap one on! What's to lose?[p]Beers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    WallyPost,[p]Go do it to the shoulder son. We recently did two 10 lb picnic shoulders and the family all agreed that they liked the flavor better than the flavor of butt. If I'm not mistaken the shoulder and the butt start out life attached to one another and get seperated for our eating pleasure. The yiels will be less than what you expect there's one big honkin' bone that imparts part of the flavor I'm pretty sure. Cooked both of ours with the skin on I'll try the next one with the skin off. Good luck

• Unknown
    Options
    WallyPost, I agree with the others that the picnic portion of the shoulder is more flavorful, but has less yield of meat than the butt portion of the shoulder.[p]As to your question of the difference between the two, both cuts come from the front leg of the hog. The whole shoulder will have the butt and picnic intact. The butt is the upper section of the leg and contains the shoulder blade. The picnic is the lower section of the leg and usually ends mid way down the shank or lower section of the front leg. [p]The link below lists a diagram that might explain this a little better. I hope this helps.[p]Beers to you,[p]Juggy D Beerman

[ul][li]Piggy parts[/ul]
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    WallyPost, here is a picture that I like (Juggy's is OK but I just like mine better)

[ul][li]Pork Cuts[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    I like your illustration better too, Bill. :-)[p]Beers,[p]Juggy