Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Beef Tenderloin Help

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a whole beef tenderloin thawed and I have no idea how to cook it on the egg. Any tips or suggestions on cook time and temp would be appreciated. I do know that I want to cook it and then slice it versus cutting it up into individual steaks before cooking.

Thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one method>

Beef, Tenderloin, Whole, Roasted Shallots, Bacon and Port, Ohio Boy in DC

Best recipe I ever found...thanks to epicurious...I've been preparing this for 4 years now, will do it on the egg for the first time this year.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 each 3 to 3 1/4 lb beef tenderloins (large ends), trimmed
    1 1/2 lbs large shallots (about 24), halved lengthwise, peeled
    3 Tbs olive oil
    6 cups canned beef broth
    1 1/2 cups tawny Port
    1 Tbs tomato paste
    2 tsp dried thyme
    7 bacon slices, chopped
    6 Tbs (3/4 stick) butter
    1 1/2 Tbs all purpose flour
    1 large bunch watercress

Procedure
    1 Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375F. In 9-inch-diameter pie pan, toss shallots with oil to coat.
    2 Season with salt and pepper. Roast until shallots are deep brown and very tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
    3 Boil broth and Port in large saucepan until reduced to 3 3/4 cups, about 30 minutes. Whisk in tomato paste.
    4 (Shallots and broth mixture can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
    5 Pat beef dry; sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. In large roasting pan set over medium heat, saute bacon until golden, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels. Add beef to pan; brown on all sides over medium-high heat, about 7 minutes. Transfer pan to oven; roast beef until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 125F for medium-rare, about 45 minutes.
    6 Transfer beef to platter. Tent loosely with foil.
    7 Spoon fat off top of pan drippings in roasting pan. Place roasting pan over high heat. Add broth mixture and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer to medium saucepan; bring to simmer. Mix 3 tablespoons butter and flour in small bowl to form smooth paste; whisk into broth mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Stir in roasted shallots and reserved bacon. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Cut beef into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon some sauce over. Garnish with watercress. Pass remaining sauce.

Servings: 12

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Ohio Boy in DC

Source: BGE Forum, Ohio Boy in DC, 12/23/03

I modify it sometimes by using wild mushrooms, or wine for the port, or anything else I want to throw in for the gravy. This is a great base.

Pour a full-bodied red wine, such as a Bordeaux, Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon.
  • c tredwell
    c tredwell Posts: 575
    Options
    Richards got a good recipe there..............
    I usually marinade in half and half bourbon and soy sauce (no more than 2 hours!)--pat dry craked peppercorns and granulated garlic. Sear quick on all sides then 20-30 minutes at 300 for med. rare. Quick, easy and tastey!

ctredwell
    go dawgs
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Options
    I would sear the whole roast, or cut in half like here, over a hot fire and then let it roast for a while. Monitor the meat temperature closely and pull at 125 for rare. Oh, I just use EVOO and salt and pepper as seasoning.

tenders.jpg
  • Rick's Tropical Delight
    Options
    one of my favorite cooks on the egg!

i sear for 2 minutes a side at 700 with the dome open, then pull off and rest for 20 minutes under foil while the egg comes down to 350-375, then roast for 10 minutes a side approximately till 125 internal. rest again for 10 minutes and it'll carry over to 130 internal for rare. anyone that wants it done a little more can put the slices back on if they want, or you can put on a heated platter to cook some more :woohoo:

vinnysbeeftender-002.jpg

beeftender-032.jpg

beeftender-060.jpg

vinnysbeeftenderloin-024.jpg

vinnysbeeftenderloin-029.jpg

don't forget the horseradish sauce!

vinnysbeeftenderloin-034.jpg

or mushroom red wine demi glace!

vinnysbeeftender-022.jpg

:woohoo: