Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinade Injection

Options
KC
KC Posts: 91
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
of the 30 or so pork butts I have cooked on the egg I have never used an injected marinade to flavor or tenderize a pork butt. For those of you who inject marinades what's your favorite marinade recipe and is it worth doing?

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I've seen people use apple or pineapple juice but don't know how much. I have never injected.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Just my 2 cents, I've been doing whole shoulders and butts for 25 years and have never injected though I've been tempted. I judged my first KCBS contest last fall and a lot of the pork entries were injected. I really didn't care for them, pulled pork to me shouldn't taste like pineapple or some other exotic fruit. I guess its just my Carolina mentoring, but that's just me. -RP
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    When I first started smoking, I injected. As I learned the intricacies of my offset smoker, I quickly quit injecting and my butts continued to get better. They definitely didn't NEED an injection.

Just before I got my egg, I tried the following injection for a butt, on a whim. I liked it. It was something different. I was surprised.

I tried it on the first butt I did on my Egg and it was very good. So my thoughts about injecting? You don't necessarily NEED it, but you should probably TRY an injection at least once.

Big Bob Gibson's pork butt injection

Yields: 4 Servings

Found on the internet, this is allegedly a clone of Chris Lilly's pork butt injection used by the Big Bob Gibson bbq team.

Ingredients
    3/4 cup Apple juice
    1/2 cup Water
    1/2 cup Sugar
    1/4 cup Kosher salt finely ground
    2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Instructions
    Mix ingredients together and inject into each butt.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    I stumbled upon something that works really, really well. I've served it to a bunch of people from the Southeast and they rave about it. I didn't even know about pulled pork until 2004. Anyway, I make a Carolina style vinegar sauce, without ketchup, and add Bonesuckin' sauce. I use a full recipe from Dr BBQ's first book for the vinegar sauce and add one cup of Bonesuckin' sauce. I use a stick blender to break down the chunks, filter it and inject the butt.

This is also my finished BBQ sauce for PP, but I leave in the chunks in for the finish sauce. I discovered this by grabbing the wrong jar when I was prepping a butt and it's now my go-to injection. Haven't bothered trying anything else.
  • KC
    KC Posts: 91
    Options
    This sounds pretty good. I will try this and Chris Lilly's recipe that others have suggested. Thanks for the replies everyone.