Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Important!!

egret
egret Posts: 4,164
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
You know, I hate to see all the ridiculous things going on in the world, let alone here! What's important is reaching out to our fellow man with caring and compassion. Lord help us if any one of us should be struck with a terminal illness......with no hope! How important would all this bickering seem then? A dear lady in her early 40's who works at my BGE dealer last month underwent breast cancer surgery and is preparing for a lengthy session of chemo. She is living alone with two children to raise. I'm going to do a fund raiser for her this weekend to help her a little with her expenses by cooking numerous loaves of bread on the BGE and offering them as gifts and asking for a donation in exchange. Not tooting my own horn for this, by any means, but just raising the point that we all should look at life, our lives, from a different perspective.

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Hey John, count us in for a loaf, and you can donate it back. Email or call with where to send payment. -RP
  • Gzmogator
    Gzmogator Posts: 33
    Thank you for your sentiments. I could not agree with you more. I learned a long time ago that it takes all kinds to make up this world. Life is just too short and we need to be extraordinarily appreciative of others everyday. Kill them with kindness and see what happens.
    Thanks
    Steve
  • Amen John, there are much more important things in life.
  • egret
    Bless your heart, Randy! I wasn't soliciting for donations, by any means! If you do want to help it would be most appreciated and I would certainly make sure that this fine lady knew who offered the help.
    My home addy is :

1298 Harris Ridge Rd.
    Young Harris, GA 30592
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Thanks Egret ,,,( from your invisable helper in Ocala). I know what your saying as I have 1 friend in chemo and another starting soon. My bad to respond to the Ahole's but I'll work on that as it's my problem. If there's anything I can do to help just let me know John. In the mean time I'll try to cook the bread you made for my neighbor.(one of the chemo ones). She is mid 80's and for your friend at 40 I do pray for. It was a pleasure to meet you.
    Pat

PS She loves AZRP'S shrimp and I told her about your bread but have not tried it yet so I might need your help.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Same type stuff going on out this way.

GG
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Having just finished that path, I can not even imagine how she could go through that alone and with 2 kids. It totally sapped me. If you can bring her meals, even if she doesn't feel like eating....it's a relief not to have to cook for the kids. We got lots of help in the beginning, which was wonderful, but a couple of couples brought us meals off and on through the entire 6 months. Angels really do walk among us.

And this silliness that's going on tonight.....if someone doesn't like this site.....don't waste a precious moment of your precious life doing things that make you that mad...it's not worth it...and thats all I have to say about that...
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Very wise words sir, very wise.
  • Amen to that! We have a good friend from near you, Blairsville. She had surgery 03/17 for a brain tumor. Thankfully it was found to be benign. She is here at her in laws recovering. Still has double vision and is looking at radiation therapy to remove the tumor. We have helped them what we could. I hope you are blessed for what you are doing for this lady and I pray healing for her.
    Tom
  • egret
    Good Lord!! Make that 30582.......
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    MR.John
    my check is in the mail, Thanks
  • egret
    Sage words, Steve! Thank you.....
  • egret
    Thanks, Glenn! Most of us just don't appreciate all this until it affects someone close.......
  • egret
    Thank you, Pat, for your kind words! I'm at your service, my friend.......
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Hello John,
    So well said and thank you very much.
    Kay and I will get a check in the mail tomorrow for a big loaf of bread. Just give it away to some one who you think will enjoy it.
    Thanks for helping this person in her time of need.
    What the world needs is more random acts of kindness.
    Jim and Kay

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• egret
    Hope things go well, GG.......
  • egret
    Thank you, Angie, for those words of wisdom. I thought of you during all this and my prayers are with you too, of course. That's good advice about helping out with the food, especially with young teenagers. I'll see to it! Take care, and, I hope to cross paths with you soon.......
  • egret
    Thank you, Rod, even though not from a wise man :P
  • egret
    Thank you, Tom, for those very kind words. If there's anything I can do from here I trust you'll call upon me......
  • metrylee
    metrylee Posts: 94
    its always good to help other people
    after Katrina my house caught on fire and i was homeless for 11 months.i had some help from some friends and i will never forget them.
    so iam happy to send a helpin hand to this lady
    who needs our help.
  • egret
    I'm not believing this! I'm overwhelmed by your kind gesture! If you would, please include your personal info so she can respond to you personally for your thoughtfulness and kindness. Man, I'm telling you, this green egg blood runs deep and true!! Bless you!!!
  • egret
    Jim, I'm just blown away by this! I was just trying to make a point about the nature of some people and, true to the deep bond we all share together there have been offers like yours to help someone in need you don't even know. Bless you too, Jim, and thank you my brother....
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    My Pleasure,
    Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    Well said. How can we make a donation?
  • egret
    Believe me, I'm totally flabbergasted by the kindness shown by you and others tonight. I wasn't intending this to be a fund raiser in my wildest dreams. I'm humbled by your generosity. If you care to help this fine lady please include your personal info so she can respond to you personally. If you mail it to me at the following address, I'll get it right to her, and, from me personally, my deepest thanks to you......

1298 Harris Ridge Rd.
    Young Harris, GA 30592
  • egret
    I'm brain dead tonight. I'm so struck by the response to this!! Make that zip code 30582.......
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    John:

You are so right. My across the street neighbor blew his brains out in his home this past Sunday morning. Long story, but I was looking at his house when it happened. God, we have so much to be thankful for. Stars in your crown, My Friend.

Mike
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Egret, thanks for your generous spirit. Lord knows we need more of this in our fallen world. I believe that we can show love to others because God first loved us.

I'd like to send a challange:

To everyone who has read this thread. Give up something this week (cigaretts, alcohol, smokless tobacco, or even that blessed cup of starbucks coffee), and make a donation. Whats it going to hurt? Who knows you may even realize you don't need something you think you can't do without, and if you are a praying person, lift this lady up to the Lord.

Egret if you would please give our love to her. Also who should the check be made out to?
  • egret
    Thank you, Mike, for your kind words. I'm sorry to hear about your neighbor......We are so blessed, especially when can compare ourselves to someone like this near us who is in so much pain and distress........
  • egret
    That's most gracious of you, and, I appreciate all your kind and caring words. I'll certainly convey your message to her. If you want to help make the check out to me and I'll get it right to her. Lord knows she needs all the help she can get. Not only does she have a lot of added expenses, she hasn't been able to work for several weeks and won't be able to for the next several months.....
    I never intended for this post to be a call for donations, but, I'm humbled by the generosity and caring of this wonderful group.

Please include your name and address with anything you send so she can properly thank you. Send to :

John Hal1
    1298 Harris Ridge Rd.
    Young Harris, GA 30582