Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Round

Beli
Beli Posts: 10,751
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have experience with cooking Beef bottom round roast or eye of round roast
this cut is not very marbled and can be somehow tough, looks like a small tenderloin. Got 3 pieces around 4 pounds each. Any suggestions on how to cook them on the egg greatly appreciated. TKS.

Comments

• NO, not lo and slo. ...fast and medium hot. . .this is a lean hunk of cow you have there. ..lo and slo will just dry it out. . .

make "Pit beef" (pit beef is a regional way of roasting it in the maryland area). . .

simply set up your egg indirect at 375 degrees dome temp (sure go ahead and toss a nice chunk of hickory or oak in the fire). ..

coat the roast pretty heavily with somethinglike dizzy cowlick or i particularly like red-eye express (you can also just go with a good heavy coating of salt/pepper/garlic ... .

roast the meat till it hits 130 - 135 internal temp (at 375 degrees depending on the size of the roast it won't take more than 1 1/2 hours or so)

now, this is still a tough hunk of cow so you want to slice it really, really, REALLY THIN. ..."shaved" is the best way to describe it. .. works best if you have an electric deli slicer. . ..

serve it on kaiser rolls with raw onions and horseradish and/or bbq sauce. .. .

great stuff. . .

btw... wessb has a very similar recipe with pics at his web site: www.wessb.com under the recipe section ..
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I like using a Dutch Oven, or disposable deep roasing pan. Putting in some potato's and onions, liquid and brazing. The cook takes about 6 hours.

GG
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    eye rounds are good for pit beef. bottom rounds are good for braising as in stews, or for slicing into jerkey. if you have the right end of the round, it makes a descent trex steak, needs to be the end that sits nearest the sirloin. big rump roasts which contain the bottom and eye can also make a descent deli beef.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Beli
    Fishlessman I wouldn´t have a clue as to which particular round it is, if the bottom round or the eye round probably you could tell from this photos. TKS.
    Here are some photos:
    Got them in Sam´s, angus pride.. seemed like a bargain
    Cuete.jpg
    The round is called cuete here at home here is the drawing (Yellow #2)
    kgraber0108.jpg
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    area 2 in yellow has the pieces you have, left side toward the front of the cow is better than the tail end, when i ask for rump steak my butcher will bring a piece out thet looks to be area 1 and 2 and slices off my steaks from the sirloin side, you can see the distict muscles in the single steak

2005233857.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Do it like Max suggested. I make roast beef lunch meat from eye of round. I like to inject it with worchestershire and evoo, and I also make slits and insert garlic cloves. I also cover with 3-4 slices of bacon to add a little moisture to it.

Slicing it thin across the grain like Max said is key. I notice they shrink up considerably while cooking, so I wrap them when they hit 135 and rest in a cooler for a couple hours, then move to the refrigerator and slice it the next day.

RawRoast.jpg

RoastBeastSmall.jpg
  • Beli
    Thanks Max. One more thing, I suupose I have to remove the membrane right?
  • Beli
    Thanks for the tip.
  • Beli
    Great photos & tips, I´ll cook it as Max suggested with your ingredients TKS. Suppose you remove the membrane before cooking?
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Beli,, Here's a small (about 3#) Top round that I did about a month ago. Best Philly Cheese steaks I had since I lived in Philly. Cooked direct to 100 internal temp then foiled and returned to fridge. Next day sliced with meat slicer and added onions and mushrooms then topped with cheese. For a twist add a little ketsup when cooking meat & all before removing from pan.

Pat

Baby top round

100_1639.jpg

sliced the next day

100_1651.jpg

onions & mushrooms

100_1653.jpg

ready to eat,,, They were great

100_1655.jpg
  • Beli
    Gosh Pat those look delicious.....really like the Philly cheese idea. Tell me, is the fridge step really necessary? could´n just foli it & rest for 2 hrs and eat it then???TKS
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Yes it is necessary. You can freeze it for a few hours but it has to set & firm up before slicing. It is def. worth the wait & I still have about another pound in the freezer that I forgot about until I saw your post. Mrs. Pool said to say thank you for reminding me :unsure: :blush: .

Pat
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    below linked are informational sites regarding beef anatomy, myology [muscle] and butchering terminology that were sent to me by eggers when i asked questions about cuts of beef.

http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D/eng/nIntro.jsp

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/imps/imps100pc.pdf
  • Beli
    Bill thank-you for the information
  • Beli
    Just great......biceps femoris (beef round) page..click muscle information & we get the pic.
    :laugh: :laugh:

http://bovine.unl.edu/bovine3D/eng/3did.html
  • ThrRoff
    ThrRoff Posts: 169
    We do a lot of "Pit Beef" Mad Max's way. Here is some from Easter where I went light on the spices because of grand kid tastes.

pitbeef.jpg
  • chazz
    chazz Posts: 23
    Beli:

Just wondering if you had something like your Beef chart, but for Pork. It would help me when I shop for meat. The Beef one has already come in handy. Thank you in advance,

Chazz