Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket & Butt mopping

Tuck
Tuck Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Whenever I did brisket & butts on my offset, I would mop every hour or so. On the egg, can I skip mopping by using a drip pan with my mop liquid in it or is it better to go ahead and continue mopping?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    you dont need to mop but it does add some flavor, the rub loses alot of flavor during a long cook. instead of mopping butts i inject them with a vinegar style sauce when they are in the middle of the plataue area. injecting them during the cook in the egg is much cleaner than on the counter before the cook. before doing that i did the cook with rub and mustard without anything in the pan, and tried mopping a few times, not really moister either way, but more flavor with the mop.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    Since most of my butt and brisket cooks are overnight, I use a drip pan with a little water in it and try to mop (or spritz with a spray bottle) every hour on the hour whenever I'm awake. That means a 14 hour butt cook might get mopped 3 times before I call it a night and then 3 more times the next morning.

It adds a bit to the flavor, and it adds some moistness on rib cooks, but I haven't noticed it making much difference on moistness with butts or briskets.

Dave
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i don't mop at all. metal cookers have the potential to dry out your meat more than ceramic, so don't do it to keep it moist. but you can still do it for flavor, certainly.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Tuck
    Tuck Posts: 54
    I've never injected but that sounds intriguing. What's a good recipe for the vinegar sauce?
  • I have become a KISS convert.

I do not inject, mop or even lift the lid when cooking brisket or pork roasts. I may lift the lid after 4 hours when cooking back ribs because they are so thin it is hard to get a decent thermometer reading.

Spacey
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i use elder wards as a base, its in his tutorial.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Your going to be wonderfully surprised by the moistness of your butt :laugh: , even without basting.
    Trust your egg!

JoJo
  • batt
    batt Posts: 40
    firetruck wrote:
    Your going to be wonderfully surprised by the moistness of your butt
    Trust your egg!

JoJo

I think we all enjoy a moist butt every now and then. :laugh: