Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

DIGI Q 2 and ramp explanation help

Options
Okeejohn
Okeejohn Posts: 297
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am doing my first pork butt, pit temp 220-230 and I am going to pull it at 195. I have my ramp mode on and if I understand the concept correctly, when the food temp approaches 195, the pit temp will lower to 195 so the meat won't overcook. Is that right? Also, if I am not home to pull the meat, how long can it stay in the BGE? Lastly, does the ramp mode extend the length of time to cook? Thanks for your help everyone on this forum.

John
Okeechobee, Fl

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sounds like your on the money.
    Not sure on the hold time.
    Might depend on what you are cooking, and how it handles the holding pattern and how much lump.
    The other thing the ramp does is bring your Egg temp up above your set temp for the first part of your cook to speed things up and then slows back down as your food temp and set temp get closer so it does not blow through your rendering stage to quick. I'm sure this is not proper BBQ wording but I think it will get you closer.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    The ramp-up at the start of the cook must be new with the DigiQ. My Competitor doesn't have that, or at least it's not in the doc and I haven't ever had it go past the set point with ramp mode on or off. Sound like a pretty cool feature. A buddy of mine is lobbying for a Guru for father's day after using mine once. I'll have to let him know about this feaure.
  • Ramp mode works like this:

When Ramp mode is enabled, you can cook at any temp you want. Ex. 225 or 325°F. Ramp mode kicks in when you are 25° from your meat done temperature. The Pit temp will slowly come down as you approach your meat done setpoint. The control will now hold a low enough pit temp that your meat temp will not over shoot.

I hope this helps.

p.s. If you leave your meat on for hours after it hits it's done temp., you run the risk of drying it out.

BBQ Bob Trudnak
    The BBQ Guru

I cant seem to log-in, which is why I am using Guest..
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I don't think that is quite right. According to the BBQ Guru website:Ramp Mode Explained, they are saying you can manually set the pit temperature higher yourself, not that the DigiQ II does it. I couldn't find the manual for the DigiQ II, to see if it is different than the Competitor, though.
    The Naked Whiz
  • RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    Thanks, that's the way I understood it to work. Photo Egg (above thread) said the DidiQ also has a "ramp up" mode at the start of the cook that bumps the temp up past your set point. I know my Competitor doesn't work this way, and TNW (another above thread) seems to agree. Is the DigiQ different from the Competitor in this respect?
  • Eggtucky
    Eggtucky Posts: 2,746
    Options
    Still..one helluva cool feature..cant wait for mine to get here! :angry: :blink: :woohoo:
  • No it works the same way.

Bob