Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Question

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all. I just bought my first BGE (large) yesterday and had the best steak I've even cooked last night. A 2lb Delmonico and I was in heaven. The good thing was even my wife could tell the difference![p]Anyway I'm planning on cooking a butt tomorrow. Most of the books I've read say to cook for 1 1/2 hours per pound at 200-250. I've got an 8 pounder. I know the BGE is more efficient. Is there a calculation that I should follow? I want to make sure I don't start it too early.[p]In addition I haven't bought the v-rack or drip pan yet. I know the drip pan is needed to prevent flare-ups. What can I use instead?[p]Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Vegas Slim
    Vegas Slim Posts: 166
    Sean,
    I am sure the others with more cooking time on the egg will respond but here is my 2 cents i have done 2 butss the first thing i must tell you is that one took 14 hours the other 20 hours they both weighed pretty much the same so you cant really tell how long the butt will take if it is done early wrap it in a towel and put in a cooler will last a few hours as for the drip pan i have used nothing but a drip pan i guees you could cover a small cake pan etc with foil? good luck and enjoy the egg and the pulled pork!!

• regularguy
    regularguy Posts: 17
    site1040.jpg
    <p />Sean, invest in a probe thermometer or a regular meat thermometer and go for internal temps shooting for 200 to 210~~~~ cooking times vary alot . I cooked a 8lb butt the other day and it took 14 hours most folks cook around 220 to 250 it seems so start earlly and you can put it in a cooler and let it rest for a lone time
  • Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Sean,[p]Vegas Slim is dead on. Cooking time with butts can vary significantly. You're better off taking a conservative approach to planning the time that the butt will be ready to pull.[p]For example, I'm putting two 10-11 lb. butts on at noon today and expect them both to be ready to pull within 24 hours. We are throwing a party on Sunday with a scheduled meal time of 3:00PM. The butts should be done in plenty of time, and they'll sit wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler until ready to pull.[p]One last piece of advice - temperature control is key. Try to maintain a dome temp between 225°F and 250°F and get a couple of cooks under your belt before you venture with dome temps below 225°F. For pulled pork I always shoot for a dome temp between 230°F to 240°F, but leave well enough alone as long as the temp is between 225°F and 250°F.[p]Enjoy the cook.
    Puj

• regularguy
    regularguy Posts: 17
    site1050.jpg
    <p />Sean,
    here's a setup i used without v rack worked great! I put some water in bottom pan there are lots of ways to cook indiect it seems

• Sean,
    I use disposable aluminum pans for drip pans. About 50 cents apiece and come in many sizes. Beats cleaning.