Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza dough question

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I now make my pizza dough in the bread machine. Comes out great. I've experienced some problems in shaping the dough/tossing by hand and I've decided I'll "cheat" and use a rolling pin.
Here's the question: of those who use a bread machine to make their dough, do you use a 1 or 1 1/2 pound recipe?
I think I know the solution now, just want some input. The pepperonni/mushroom/crawfish pizza scored in the 95% range last night. Just trying to get those other 5 points!

Comments

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    Shelby,[p]Using a rolling pin is not cheating!!!!! :) I don't know if you've seen this already but here's a link to a pretty good demonstration of rolling out dough for pizza.[p]I can't help with the size of the dough formula using a bread machine.[p]Happy Eats,
    Puj

[ul][li]Shape your Pizza - Thick or Thin[/ul]
  • newsense
    newsense Posts: 32
    Options
    Shelby,
    I have an old 1-lb. bread machine, and I use a dough recipe that consists of 2-cups flour, 3/4 cup water, 2 1/4 tsp. yeast, 1 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp. olive oil.[p]I set the machine on the dough cycle and I remove the dough right after the machine is done mixing... about 25 minutes later. Then I let the dough rise in a covered bowl for about an hour.[p]If you take the dough out of the bowl after it has doubled in size, then flatten it gently on the countertop and "fold" it (just like folding a paper into a square, you can put it back into the bowl and let it rise another hour and it will develop lots of carbon bubbles that make for a neat pillowy crust when you gently press the crust into a rough 10-inch circle and "bake" the pizza in the egg.[p]Don't be afraid to roll out the dough with a rolling pin. You won't hurt it. Cracker-thin crust is great with some pizzas. BUT, if you want that nice, bubble-filled crust, then don't press out all those carbon pockets.... they help the dough "rise" as it cooks (the carbon bubbles try to escape and the crust becomes thin and hardens, thus the "puffy pillows" in the crust)[p]Two other pizza-making tips...[p]1. Corn meal. Sprinkle some on the pizza peel and on the cooking stone. It has saved me from ruining many sticky doughs.[p]2. Use two pizza stones on the egg. I use a plate setter and then top that with another pizza stone. When you heat the stones for about 45 minutes (at 500 degrees), the bottom stone is too hot to cook pizza on, it will only burn the crust. But, if you use a second stone stacked on top of the first, then the intense heat from the burning wood will not overbake your pizza, burning the bottom of the crust before the cheese on top even melts.[p]Sorry for the long-winded reply, but since I haven't seen Spin around here in awhile, someone needs to help with pizza suggestions. So, even if you don't need the help, perhaps someone can use it.[p]Scott[p]

• Shelby
    Options
    Puj,
    Yeah, I checked out that link before; it was great. But for some reason, even following the example, I still had problems. Got close but kept poking holes in the dough, that's why I switched to rolling.
    Since I prefer a thinner dough, I'll use the smaller 1 pound recipe which will give me less to work with, thus should yield a thinner crust. Just means I gotta try again!

• Puj
    Options
    Shelby,[p]You may want to try two risings for the dough. Make the dough in the bread machine, take it out and let it sit for maybe ten minutes. Then put the dough ball in a food storage bag and place it in the refrigerator overnight. Take the dough ball out of the frig about 1 hour prior to shaping into a pizza.[p]Slow fermentation of dough allows for the glutens to fully develop providing the necessary gas pockets to help form the crust, and strength to the dough.[p]Puj
  • Shelby
    Options
    newsense,
    Thanks for the reply! I've got a similiar recipe for a 1 pound dough and will use it. Was wanting some feedback on quantity of dough to start with. Also, I let my dough rise in the pizza machine. Same time frame; about 25 to mix the dough; another hour to rise. I pull it promptly at that point and begin rolling the dough and adding goodies!
    The "cheating" comment was in jest...I do not feel ashamed using a rolling pin when creating such a great finished pie.
    And you're right on the other two points. Cornmeal is a must to make sliding the pizza off the peel. On the pizza stone...well, at first, I bought a small stone. It looked big at the time but was too small so I ordered a large stone. My setup is plate setter, small stone then large stone. Works great every time...unless you let the pie slide too far to one side. Oh well, only affected one slice!

• Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Hi Puj and Shelby,[p]I agree with all Puj has said, but, of course, will put my two cents in ;-)[p]I wonder why the original dough recipe keeps tearing? Was it not kneaded enough and so lacks exstensibility (a fancy term for stretchiness) or more likely is it overmixed since it was mixed/kneaded by machine? It is hard to overmix when kneading by hand, but the roughness and heat of machines can cause the gluten to over stretch and develop a texture like warm chewing gum. That may account for the tearing.[p]That being said, if using a rolling pin helps, there is nothing wrong with using one. I like to hand stretch (quite a trick with long nails) for two reasons. The slightly uneven thickness that occurs adds to a variation in texture and taste that I find pleasing. I also think the rustic, imperfectly shaped pie is more appealing to the eye.[p]Good luck in making the BEST pizza (it's always the one you make yourself, YOUR way ;-)[p]Ellen

• Puj
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,[p]So what's the cook making in the test kitchen this weekend? Back here in the South we'll be munching on some grilled quail tonight, and a full-blown pork barbeque tomorrow afternoon.[p]Puj
  • Ellen aka Gormay
    Options
    Hi Puj,[p]I'm going to try a corned beef on the BGE tomorrow. The test kitchen is still gathering data on this cook. I have a wonderful corned beef recipe that I am thinking of adapting for the grill, but am afraid to tamper with a good thing. This weighty matter calls for much research and delving into forum archives as to how best to approach this latest experiment. Of course, copious notes will be recorded on every phase of preparation and cook and a successful (or unsuccessful :-( outcome will be duly reported.[p]I'd invite you over to help, but we have numerous quail families living on our property and although you and I both obviously love quail, you love them because they are *delicious* ;-)[p]I can't eat bunnies either because of the cuteness factor...give me some ugly cows and chickens anytime![p]Ellen[p]PS I am planning to cook my first spareribs (the Danish ones, no less) for Memorial Day weekend. The EAG Test Kitchen gladly accepts suggestions/comments on future projects (hint...hint...:-)

• Shelby
    Options
    Ellen aka Gormay,
    Let's not forget those ugly swine when deciding what to put on the grill!
    Personally, in this part of the South, I woke to find my fav supermarket has baby backs on sale for $2.99/lb. So, since we already had plans for this evening, tomorrow looks to be a rib day here!

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    Shelby, i noticed that some recipes call out for "flour", but for ALL yeast doughs you should be using "Bread flour" -a high gluten flour that will allow stretching of the dough. I always use a rolling pin for my baking (even have a mini rolling pin fot rolling iside baking trays).
    for quick dough, try using a food processor with 1 cup water, 1 pk yeast, 1 teasp salt, 1 tabsp olive oil (optional), as much bread flour as it can absorb for a smooth non sticky dough (approx 2 - 2.5 cups) depending on the humidity that day.
    [leaving for Destin Fl today]