Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Starting Methods, Time, Tips

Options
Big-R
Big-R Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Apologies for a newbie-to-be question........[p]My lovely bride announced last night that I would be a proud owner of a new BGE in the near future (Father's day). She has a dinner party tonight and I am supposed to execute my famous brisket. Our gas grill is on the fritz again, the smoker is at the beach and I am in deep trouble.... but I'll get that handled somehow.[p]Anyway, on to the question....[p]Each of you have your own time tested method for starting the lump charcoal. Could you please share your methods, tips, and timing to help me get started (pun intended).[p]Thanks for listnening and all your comments have got me stoked about becoming an egg'er.

Comments

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Big R, Welcome to the "club". Maybe you should celebrate Father's Day a little early and start doing those briskets on an Egg. [p]I ALWAYS start my BGEs with a fire starter (the compressed sawdust kind) under the ash grate. Is has always worked for me and I have never had the fire go out on a low and slow. I usually (always for low and slow) start with a small pile of lump, start that and get it going good, about 5 minutes, and then dump more lump on top. 5 more minutes and you have 350* to 450* and in 5 more, sometimes sooner, you have a steak searing 750* or so. Others, I'm sure, will have other methods that work best for them this is just what works well for me. The dealer I bought my eggs from has tried this way and has now converted from a "top lighter". Have agreat day.[p]Chuck <><

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Big R,
    For normal cooks ranging from a few minutes for steaks to 4-5 hours for ribs, I use a BGE electric starter.
    I stir up the old lump so fines can fall through to the bottom. Then put the starter on top of the old remaining lump and fill with fresh lump to desired level, usually just below the top of fire box. Open bottom vent and wait till it's got a few red coals, about 5 minutes. Then pull the starter arrange the lump if necessary and close dome and open daisy or remove it. I let her rip till just below or at desired temp and then start to close her down.
    Takes about 10 minutes to reach 700 + degrees.
    B D

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    Big Daddy,
    Sounds just like what I do. I've found the time from plugging the starter in to 350 degrees to be about the same amount of time needed to kill the first beer!

• Trout Bum
    Trout Bum Posts: 343
    Options
    Shelby,
    Takes me a little longer to kill the beer. I drink those 15 oz. Guiness bad boys.
    B D