Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Championship brisket preparation...

Options
ChicagoQ
ChicagoQ Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Stumbled into this link tonight, thought it was a pretty detailed overview of preparing a good bbq brisket, might be helpful to egg'ers. I am in no way affiliated with this site...

[ul][li]championship brisket[/ul]

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    ChicagoQ,
    Interesting article! I was most entertained by this quote from the article...it is in a highlight box![p]"Wood is your best and worst friend. You know it's sort of like going out dancing with a beautiful person. Early in the evening it is fun, romantic and possibly hopeful. As the evening progresses and you stay too long at the party, tiredness sets in, you get cranky, accidently step on feet and get into an argument. Try not to stay too long at the party and let the smoke waft through the pit and not become a smokestack!"[p]Now that is deep.
    Anybody translate?[p]Cheers onya.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, I've read the same kind of thing before regarding wood and brisket. In a nutshell, if you're gonna hit it with woodsmoke, do it at the outset, and not too heavy, let the lump or bed of hardwood coals be the only flavouring agent for the bulk of the cook......
    Qfan

• JodyMo
    JodyMo Posts: 46
    Options
    ChicagoQ,
    Excellent article! This really gives a beginning-to-end look at doing brisket right. I have yet to try one, but will definitely refer to this again when I am ready!
    Thanks-
    JodyMo

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    image-display?photo_id=764362&size=md
    <p />ChicagoQ,
    This was my first attempt at cooking a brisket (small one) on the Egg. I used the mustard coating and rub suggested in the article and kept the temperature low (about 225 degrees) with very little smoke. It turned out great. After reading the article I think I may do a large brisket this weekend. Thanks for the article.[p]Spring Chicken

• ChicagoQ
    ChicagoQ Posts: 20
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks for the feedback, glad it proved to work well... Interesting how most of the techniques described are already done by many BGE'ers who post to this forum. I'm a relatively new egg owner and haven't tried a brisket yet but will soon...it's my personal holy grail of BBQ cause of all the miserable failures I had with it on my dry gas grill, and all the wonderful real Texas brisket I've enjoyed in the past...