Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Scallops on Sat'day......need advice.

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Where to get the scallops? Small or big? Expensive, not expensive?
Bacon, no bacon? Rubs, no rubs?, Salt and pepper or no? Marinate or not? Hot + direct + how long? Cool fire + indirect for long smoke? How long?[p]Peeled and devained, or ........errr.....wait a minute.....that's another subject. Sorry.[p]Thanks for any info.

Comments

• billex
    billex Posts: 27
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    Learn more about sutainable fishing practices.[p]http://www.mbayaq.org/efc/efc_oc/dngr_food_watch_chart.asp[p]Caution:
    Bay scallops have been heavily exploited, and many populations have declined in recent years.
    Buy bay scallops from Massachusetts, where populations
    are still healthy.[p]Avoid:
    Sea scallops have been overfished in New England.
    Efforts are underway to help sea scallop populations recover.[p]Thank you.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Gamecock-4-Life,[p]Get sea scallops. Cut them in half crosswise (so they look like coins) about 1/4-inch thick. Marinate them briefly (like no more than an hour) in some olive oil, freshly squeezed lime juice, a little soy sauce, and a lot of fresh grated ginger. Using Dr Chicken's Whammo Roadkill Rub or Ken Stone's EZ Life rub or any spices you like; cumin, paprika, turmeric, good quality curry...or even just some pepper. Your call.[p]Get a grill-topper wok (or any grill topper that won't let the little guys fall through into the coals) nice and hot with the temp around maybe 400, oil the surface, and put the scallops in one layer. After maybe a minute, using tongs or a spatula, turn them carefully. They're delicate and tend to break easily. You'll find that the cooked surface is a lovely golden color. After another minute or so, they should be done. Test by pressing the surface; if it feels fairly firm, it's done. Don't overcook, or they'll be tough. [p]Serve them any way you like, and add some chopped fresh scallions, cilantro, basil or whatever. Make up the seasonings with what you have on hand. They are terrific. We've eaten scallops with different spice combos three times in the last two weeks, as they've been on special at the fish market at 5.99/lb. [p]Hey, I'm HUNGRY!
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    Gamecock-4-Life,
    I'd marinate them in a ziplock with olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. And when I removed them from the marinade, I'd heat up the marinade in a saucepan and pour this and the scallops over linguini.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Gamecock-4-Life,[p]We recently had scallops on sale here and so decided to try A few recipes. I used the largest I could get....20 equaled over 1 pound. These will not slip through the grates as they are pretty large.[p]Here are 3 recipes I have tested. These came from Weber's Big Book of Grilling. I am changing some to fit my tastes a little better, but these are all very good![p]Not sure if you have ever cooked scallops, but here is how I do it........[p]Use high heat..between 500º-600º. Cook direct. Before cooking, spritz with olive oil....both sides. These will be finished in about 5-6 minutes. They need to be turned at the halfway point. After 3 minutes, I check to see how freely they release form the grill. They should come right off without having to tug too hard. If they don't, I let them cook for another few seconds.[p]They are done when they just turn opaque in the center.[p]Always good to practice on a few first![p]Stogie
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Grilled Scallop ala Chili [p]1 1/4 pound(s) Scallop(s)
    Olive oil
    Kosher (coarse) salt
    Black pepper, fresh ground[p]SAUCE
    1 cup Water
    1 medium Carrot
    2 teaspoon(s) Soy sauce, dark
    1 teaspoon Hot chili-garlic sauce
    1/4 teaspoon Cumin powder
    1 tablespoon Olive oil, virgin
    1 tablespoon Rice wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon Mint, fresh, chopped[p]PREPARATION:
    Make the sauce by cutting the carrot into thin coins. Then add them and the water, soy sauce, chili-garlic sauce and cumin into a pan. Simmer this for 15 minutes.[p]While it is cooling, wash and pat dry the scallops. Set aside.[p]Puree the sauce in a blender and add the olive oil, vinegar and mint while the motor is still running. This will produce a mixture with the consistency of ketchup. Add water to thin it out or let it cook down to thicken.[p]Toss the scallops with the olive oil, salt and pepper.[p]Grill over high heat for around 5-6 minutes, turning halfway through.[p]Serve with the sauce drizzled over them or serve the sauce in separate bowls for dipping.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]LeOrange Scallops [p]1 1/4 pound(s) Scallop[p]MARINADE
    1/2 cup Orange juice, fresh sqeezed
    2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon Thyme, dried
    1/2 teaspoon(s) Kosher (coarse) salt
    1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, fresh ground[p]SAUCE
    2 medium Yellow bell pepper(s)
    2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil
    1/2 cup Onion(s), diced
    2 teaspoon(s) Garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon White wine vinegar
    1/4 teaspoon Hot sauce
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher (coarse) salt[p]PREPARATION:
    Mix together marinade ingredients. Wash and pat dry scallops and add to marinade. Refrigerate, covered for 1 hour.
    To make the sauce you will be grilling the peppers.
    Here's how.......Keep them whole and the tops on. Use medium heat and grill them until the skins turn blistered and black. This will take about 10-12 minutes and you should turn them every 3 minutes.
    Once charred, place them in a paper bag and seal it tightly. This will steam the skins off and takes about 15 minutes or so.
    Peel the skin off, remove the tops, de-seed and dice.
    Warm the olive oil in a small pan and add the onion and cook for 4 minutes.
    Add garlic and peppers and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
    Add the vinegar, hot sauce and salt.
    Puree this mixture. Add water to thin or simmer down to thicken.
    Remove the scallops from the marinade and cook over high heat for 5 minutes per side.
    Drizzle sauce over them and serve.
    ____________________________________________________________[p]Scallops Parmigiano [p]1 1/4 pound(s) Scallop(s)
    2 tablespoon(s) Olive oil[p]COATING
    1/2 cup Bread crumbs, fine
    1/4 cup Parmesan, fresh, grated
    1/2 teaspoon Kosher (coarse) salt
    1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, fresh ground[p]PREPARATION:
    This recipe is designed for around 20 large scallops.
    Combine the Coating ingredients and set aside.
    Wash scallops and then pat dry.
    Mix the scallops with the olive oil and toss to coat.
    Dip the scallops in the coating mixture and pat into the scallop.
    Place these on a plate and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. This will set the coating.
    Spritz each scallop, both sides, with olive oil.
    Cook these over high heat for about 5 or 6 minutes. After 3 minutes, flip them. They should release from the grill easily. If they don't, let them cook a few seconds longer. [p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gretl,
    top notch tips, Gretl![p]And stay away from fresh "looking" scallops labelled "processed". They have been soaked in nitrates and other junk to keep them looking fresh. They have a horribly acidic flavor. Yuck.[p]Beers to you!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ