Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BRISKET EMERGENCY!

Options
axpro
axpro Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Heres the Situation....

Set it up last night at 11:00. all good, chugging along at 220. checked at 3:00 when i got up, and still ch ugging along at 220. Woke up at 8:00 and it was down to 100!!!

Very good reason for it. We did Pizza last night.. had a big ole Egg blaze as we cooked pizza and ate by candlelight for earth Hour (no flames please) It was far later than i had wanted, but the missus set the time. I let the egg ramp down, then flipped the place setter and added a (i thought) big helping of lump. It seems that by this morning, the previously expired lump and some of the new lump had turned to Ash and decided to clogup my air holes.... I unloaded the egg, there was some unburned lump, and lots of ash...

I KNOW I KNOW New fire, Clean egg for a low n slow...razzafraggin (&^%&*^#$!!!!

I re-lit with the last of my lump, and re-loaded.... when i emptied it (barehanded) it turned out that one little coal the size of my thumb was all that was stilil hot! Keeping the egg at 100 with sub freezing winds... good little trooper.

Now, it's 11:00 local time, i am re-lit and up to a temp of 163... But....

Dier has to be at 3 today. with a 2 hour rest, that means i have 2 hours to go. I don't think warmer than it is now last night, So the questions is...

PUll it at 1:00 no matter the temp? and let it for 2 hours?
Put the spurs to it in the last hour and try to reach the 190-200 goal?
Pushing dinner is a non issue. can NOT be done.

Advice greatly needed and appreciated!

Comments

• Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I'd foil it now with a little apple juice and crank up the heat. You can also cut into the rest time a bit if need be. Good luck.
  • jamiemeyer
    Options
    I had the identical situation happen to me on Friday night. Got up Saturday morning to find that the internal probe temp had gone down 10* from when my head hit the pillow.
    I fought with that dirty egg all day trying to settle the temp. It took 10 hours to get through the plateau, and total cook time was 21 hours (9 lb. packer).
    I stayed on it, and then proceeded to do a two hour rest, with beef broth. It was my best piece of work yet.
    So... if you cannot slide the time, perhaps an alternate menu is in order???
    Good luck!
    I am off to clean my egg today.....
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I think the question is,"What temp did the meat get down to and for how long?" if the meat isn't good anymore, and yall eat it, you WILL have an BRISKET EMERGENCY! :sick:

I know you don't want to hear this but you may need to toss it.

If you assume it's good then I would put it back on and cook it till it's time to eat. I don't envy your position. :pinch:

Food poisoning or tough chewy brisket. You could always make some "dump" chili" to feed folks if you have to.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Time to run down to the mailbox, stick your head in it and SCREAM! Wish I could offer advice but there are many here who will chime in with a salvage/recovery plan (if it's possible). 8 - )

Best of luck!, Rascal
  • axpro
    Options
    It didn't get under 120 internal... it was technically "stil cooking" so i think it is fine to eat, just whether it is GOOD to eat.

I have been fighting with it, and got it to 172 internal as of.... NOW... so i figure i'll glaze it a lil, wrap it, then throw the spurs to it.. I can probably cut my rest to 1 1/2 hours and cut it on the dinner table.

Had a chu8nk this morning, a piece i had to cut off to fit the egg (i got an 11.5 pound packer, and cut 1 pound before i tried to fit it lol) it was a tiny little piece, overdone of course, but it was for the dog... we tried it and it was goo, pupypy LOVED it!

I have some photos i'll post later,

Thanks for the advice everyone!
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    I agree with Cory....SPEED UP TEMP (STEP ON THE ACCELERATOR) + FOIL+BACK TO OVEN till done, rest time is secondary here. GOOD LUCK
  • axpro
    Options
    JUst hit 180 internal..... put a bit of a glaze down... gonna let it set for 15 mins beore foil... cranked open the vents... Cross your fingers!
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    Put the spurs to it the last hour.