Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not IF but WHEN!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not IF but WHEN!!
I have owned and cooked on my large BGE for 8 months.
I have cooked chickens,beef Q, pork Q, fish, turkeys, steaks, burgers, etc... All which came out great!
Tonight I cooked a pork tenderloin, indirect with drip pan at 300 degrees, and a large piece of hickory wood. The result was a very bitter, and over smoked piece of pork. A humbling experince....
Like I stated...Not IF I have a cook go bad but WHEN..
My first major screw-up on the EGG has occurred.
LOVE that learning curve.
Since the food was'nt edible, A double round of drinks to all..[p]GaryJ

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    GaryJ,[p]Too bad about the tenderloin. I usually cook mine direct at a bit higher temps (400ish). I usually just season with a good rub (Gilded Splinters is a good one) and grill away until 145-150 internal. KennyG once posted a cool recipe where you stuff the tenderloin with cream cheese and jalapenos while marinating in honey, soy sauce (I think), and maybe something else. I have it saved somewhere and will repost it if you're interested. Cooked it once and it was um um good![p]Hee,
    Cornfed

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hey GaryJ,[p]I raise my beer to you in that round... sounds like you have more than a respectable batting average with your cooks. One inedible in 8 months aint bad. Dang.
    I'm curious how long after putting on the large piece of hickory did you add the meat?
    Hickory, as sweet as it is, can be a bit rough at times.[p]8 more months of edibles to ya.[p]WD[p]

• Cornfed,
    Cream cheese?, Jalapenos?, Honey?, Soy sauce?
    If you get a chance, I would be interested in that recipe.
    And let me state in advance....Thank You, Thank You, Thank You, [p]GaryJ

• WooDoggies,
    I let the lump get to about 250 degrees. Then I opened the lid and placed a large piece of hickory in the center of the orange hot lump. I then placed the rack, fire bricks, and meat with the indirect set-up. I stablized the egg at 300 degrees.
    It would have came out good, but I over did it on the hickory. I'll know next time......
    Good to here from you again WooDoggies.
    Heineken to ya!![p]GaryJ

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    GaryJ,
    Sorry to hear about the pork tenderloin. Direct at 300 for about 30-40 mins is perfect. Don't need to add hickory. I usually marinade mine in some soy sauce with garlic and onion powder. Simple, basic...but oh so good! Guess that means you have to try cooking it again! Don't ya just hate having to do that.
    Just a thought though...what was the last thing you cooked? Did you have any residual stuff in the bottom that could've altered the taste? If you haven't done so in a while, it might be time for a cleaning. Just a thought.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Yo GaryJ,[p]I like hickory so much I have done the same thing.
    NB recently made a good point about letting the smoke thin out a bit before putting the meat on... especially for the more smoke-susceptible cuts. Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that less is more. (ok, a groan for that cliche)[p]Good to see you post and eatin' large... Eggfest next year?!
    Pabst Blue Ribbon raised to your Heineken, my friend.[p]WD

• Cornfed
    GaryJ,[p]Here it is
    from the archives. This is some goooooood stuff![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]Actually, here's my attempt at cooking this meal at a Jets-Fins game last year. KennyG, hope this did you at least partially proud and that I didn't screw it up too much. People eating this tenderloin certainly liked it!!![p]tenderloin_small.jpg[p]Thanks again to KG for the most interesting and tasty recipe. I'm off tomorrow and may just cook this one up again![p]Later,
    Cornfed

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    GaryJ,
    Was the hickory green wood with the bark on it?
    [/b]
  • jwitheld,
    It was very seasoned,(dry),and no bark on it.
    I just over did it on the amount.
    More is not always better.
    Have A great day!![p]GaryJ

• Shelby,
    Last cook before the pork tenderloin was pork ribs.
    I always use a drip pan and the lump was fresh.
    To much hickory for what i was cooking.
    I should have known seeing that thick white smoke pouring out for 45 minutes.
    Mr. egg was smoking like a cheap cigar.
    Theres always next time!!!
    Thanks for your input.[p]GaryJ

• Cornfed,
    Great. Now I have to go buy some tenderloins. You guys are hell on my grocery budget. ;-)[p]Matt.