Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Things on the BGE

Wise One
Wise One Posts: 2,645
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Lat night I was cooking some fish on the EGG and when my wife told me she would be ready in 45 minutes (and the fish would take only 10) I decided to play a bit. I had the temp up to about 450 and I just took a few asparagus spears which had been prepped for cooking in the microwave. I sprayed them with some olive oil an dthen put alittle of BlueSmoke's Gilded Splinters rub on it and place them directly on the grill. Left them for only about three minutes total (turned them once). Everyone thought they were wonderful. So, going on my success, I stole a slice of fresh cut pineapple and put it on the grill. Just a few minutes to get some nice grill marks on both sides and it was great. My wife used the uncooked pineapple in a salad and we all agreed that the grilled pineapple would have been better.[p]Then tonight ny wife and mother-in=law decided they wanted something light and decided hot dogs were the ticket. I sprayed the hot dogs with a little olive oil, put them on at 500 degrees and did a 1.5/1.5/3 on them. Nice grill marks, crunchy taste to the skin (was trying to emulate the "snapping" hot dogs I saw on PBS a number of years ago) and really good.[p]With aplogies to gfw, "life is simple, simple is good."

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Wise One,
    Know what you mean, Bill. Yesterday I did some dogs on the Egg as well. We had our regular Tues nite chat on the Canadian bbq forum last night and everyone was going, "You stoked up a fire in the Egg for a couple hot dogs!?" All I could reply was that it was worth the effort! Boiled or fried just doesn't have the same appeal as some good quality dogs cooked over a charcoal fire.
    As you say, sometimes simple is better! One of our current favourites is a small loaf of Rustico bread (a hand formed dense Italian-style bread), split down the centre and brushed with olive oil. A minute or so for each half on the Egg and it's terrific!
    Qfan

• BBQfan1,
    Ok, now I have to share this eggsperience that I have, until now, thought ought to be kept to myself.[p]My family had to tend to some sad business in another state (we had a funeral to go to).[p]Because my brother-in-law believes, like I do, that "company goes good with beer" we had a pretty constant supply of what he considered beer. (No comment there, I *did* drink my share of it)[p]Unfortunately, he also still uses *gasp* briquets and lighter fluid! Ack![p]Well, I did what I could with the supplies on hand, and since we had plenty of that faux beer, everybody thought the $80 batch of rib eye and lobster kabobs came out great. I said nothing of how much better they would have been on the egg. After all, twas I that bought them their offset for a housewarming gift! Hehehe.[p]Anyway... After being gone over a week, we arrived at home in the afternoon. I was itchin' to egg something for dinner, ANYTHING![p]I ended up smoking a few of my new favorite hot dogs; Casper brand. Excellent "Ol fashin" style with a nice snap to 'em. I find them hidden at costco nowhere near the other weiners in the store.[p]I also tossed a *gasp #2* *can* of beanless chili into my smoking pan, normaly reserved for Q' sauces and such.[p]I actually ended up smoking all these goodies at a low 200 for almost 3 hours! The results? Absolutely fantastic! I have resorted to this quick and easy combo on the stove often enough to have tasted the excellent difference the Egg and some cherry wood did.[p]Of course a pint of my own homebrewed Honey Pale Ale was the perfect wash for this dinner. I did NOT tell my keg what I was up to the previous week, brew-wise.[p]Simple is better. (That explains why I made this post so long and complicated! Hehehe)[p]Have fun,
    bc

• Ca_rnivore
    Ca_rnivore Posts: 120
    Wise One,[p]While on vacation in Monterey Ca, I saw some migrant farm workers doing something unusual with pineapple. They were taking fresh slices and coating them in chili powder and then eating them. When I got home, I tried them as the farm workers did and decided that it was good, but would be better grilled. [p]I took the chile coated pineapple and grilled it until the juices started to thicken and the pineapple was starting to brown. Man, Oh Man! These were spicy and sweet at the same time and oh so delicious to a capsicum-cranium like me.[p]If you like spicy food, try this sometime.[p]--Kevin[p]

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Brother Bill,[p]Hot dogs on the mini get the call on many nights out here. Nothing better than a grilled dog.[p]Puj