Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru question

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Guys,
Cooking a butt tonight and I need to check to see if my Guru is working correctly. Is there a way to check it? It seems like I've read that if you put one of the probes...I assume the pit probe...in boiling water, the fan is supposed to cycle every 6 seconds???

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Gure or Q2?

From what I have read do not put the cable in water!

GG
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I'm not a Guru owner, but I work with controllers like it all the time.

If you leave the pit probe at room temperature, the Guru should go to 100% on fairly quickly if your setpoint is high enough.

Then set the pit setpoint temperature to something low, around 210*F and dunk the pit probe into boiling water. The Guru should throttle back the fan. Depending on its control algorithm, it might even turn the fan completely off eventually given the 212* water temperature.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Good point! Wiring and water do not mix...make sure it's just the sealed probe you dunk.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Well the fan is going to cycle to mantain pit temp for what ever it is set at. With open lid selected it will cycle till probe reaches set point then continue to cycle to hold pit temp. With open turned off the fan will blow continuasley till temp is reached. I guess if you stick the pit probe in boiling h2o and set the pit to 211 degrees (that is boiling h20 temp isn't it?) it will start cycling if you then remove probe but why go to all that. The only time I have ever heard of boiling h2o trick was to check prob calabration. I would just start my fire and give the "q" the pit set point then set back and enjoy a cold bevrage of your choice. Setting for open lid on will take alittle longer but will not over shoot. Open lid off will heat up quicker but alittle over shoot of desizered pit temp.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    How long of a burn do you get on your medium at 250° - 275° & with that time how full do you fill the medium?

GG
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    I have fired it up at 9:00 pm with "Q" set at 265 pit and meat set at 190 ramp mode. When I got up at 9:00am it had ramped down to about 240 pit so I set it back to 265 ramp off for rest of cook. Pulled the butts at 3:00 pm and had about another hr or two left. Soto awnser your question about 18 hrs to 20 hrs with advrage 255 to 260 pit outside temp in 30's and 40's. Lump about 1 1/2 to 2 inches below platesetter.
    NEW08010-3.jpg
    NEW08015-1.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Thank you for posting the details, that is great to know.

GG