Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh-Oh! I think I nuked my brisket!

Options
Ghostlight
Ghostlight Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I got up this moring in my pollen induced haze (I hate all things Spring!) and popped the brisket on the egg @250. I swear I saw a recipe somewhere that said that was the temp to run it at, but after it was on for a few hours it had already passed through 180 (isn't it suppoed to dwell in the 170s for hours???). I shut it down and have the temp at 210 now (trying to get it back to around 220). The brisket is at 183. I'm going to let it stay on till the meat hits 195 and pull and wrap for a few hours, but am I destined for beef jerky or tender goodness? Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Minneggsotan
    Options
    How big is your brisket and is your thermometer working correctly? 250 certainly isn't too high a temp.
  • Ghostlight
    Options
    About 3 lbs. (just a flat) I had the probes in the kitchen this am and they were reading correctly (it was 67 in the house and both the probs were dead on).
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    My experience with briskets is limited, and I've never done one as small as 3 lbs. However, I've found that an internal of 195 or a little more makes for a tender piece. As small as yours is, it might dry out before it reaches that temperature. Consider mopping it with some apple juice, or plain beer, or just a thin wipe of oil.
  • Minneggsotan
    Options
    3 lbs certainly is small... Even for a flat...you'll probably be ok though pulling at 195 or so wrapping and "coolering". Might not be the most tender, but still tasty! Good luck! :cheer:
  • axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Options
    Small Brisket Alert!!!!

Part of the problem may be the size of your brisket (I am by NO means an expert) but I was under t he impression that bigger was better for Brisket as far as taste and juiciness... One of th e main reasons that Brisket "stalls" as they say is Mass. a 11 pounder (like the one i am getting ready to prep tonight) is a lot to heat up to temp... a3-4 pounder is a lot less meat to heat up, thus it wll be much quicketr.
  • Ghostlight
    Options
    I thought it was in the 170s, but this thing's holding in the low 180s. Oh well, I'll let it go and post results tonight.
  • Matanuska
    Matanuska Posts: 29
    Options
    I think you're OK - 180 sounds about right. It should hold there for awhile before it starts to climb up to the mid 190's. The plateau probably won't be as long as what you'd see for a larger brisket.

Let us know how it turns out.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Usually in the low 170s, but some briskets will stall a couple times, even drop in temp a couple degrees. These are good things.

The one tip I can add with brisket, it seems the longer it sits in foil the better it comes out - within reason of course. Two hours is good, three is better. Just be sure to insulate well with towels or newspapers and it won't cool too much.

Good luck and be sure to come back and post the results.
  • axpro
    axpro Posts: 50
    Options
    :laugh:

Ifeared a dry Brisket, so I told the wife we had to get an 11 pounder, and keep the 6 1/2 pound one in the fridge until i "had the experience" to do it justice....

I just really love going to the butcher, what can i say!