Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey in a Small BGE?

Options
Joel Ferman
Joel Ferman Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you smoke a turkey in a small bge? If so, what would be the largest you could smoke?
-Joel

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    They say 10-12 pounds. Might take some effort, but I guess it's doable! Qfan could prolly fit a 20 pounder in there, like when he did the record pork shoulder cook on the large.[p]Beers to you. You old enough?
    NB

[ul][li]BGE specs[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Joel Ferman
    Joel Ferman Posts: 243
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I have gotten a plethora of fantastic feedback, and I think I will end up with a small Big Green Egg. As much as I try to shy away from the egg, something about it just keeps dragging me back.
    My buddies and I do A LOT of boar hunting (GREAT boar hunting in Chico) and built a large smoking pit in the backyard, but I want something for smaller tasks such as tri-tip, pulled pork, turkey and chicken. [p]And sorry, no I am not old enough to drink :-( Hey, will that make me the youngest egghead?
    -Joel

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Joel Ferman,
    If you can, get the large. A few $$ more but holds lots of room for growth and your cooking skills WILL grow. I've been contemplating another Egg (I have a large and a mini) and every time I go into my dealer I look at the med. then slither over to another large! There's just soooo much more potential and how in the heck are you going to smoke a haunch off of one of those wild pigs you've got down there on a small?
    What ever choice you do make will be the right one...for the moment. ;>)

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Joel Ferman, for someone not old enough to drink, I think the small is an excellent choice. It is much easier to take to the beach for some of those fun gatherings where no drinking is done ;-) and is easily moved when you get a better deal on an apartment or find a new girlfriend. Also, you might be able to find a used small from someone who decided that it was too small and wanted to move to a large. Then when you get more settled, get a large. But a large and a small make a great combination.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Joel Ferman,[p]I don't know about a whole turkey, but you could surely do a turkey breast...and for me, that's the most important part. I just love Egg smoked turkey breast.[p]--sdb
  • Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    sdbelt,
    Boy, do I second that! We have cooked three turkey breasts in the past two weeks. Incredible.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Gloria,
    Was that a boneless breast or do they come with bone in also???
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Options
    New Bob,
    Kroger had their fresh Honeysuckle-brand turkey breasts for 99 cents/lb and they were the whole breast cut from the turkey with bone in. I bought two and cooked them, one for my daughter and one for us. Used a dry rub and then some olive oil. They were so good that I went back and bought three more to go in the freezer and have already cooked another one and it is almost gone! The last one was 7 lbs...pretty big breast and just used lemon juice, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and olive oil. It was yummy.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    Gloria,[p]All of the turkey breasts I've cooked are just like Gloria describes as well. They can even be stuffed, if you so desire.[p]--sdb