Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to prepare Elk Steak

Nameless in St. Louis
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've searched the recipies on www but wonder if any there is anyone with eggperince with Elk Steak?

I did notice the Elk Roast responded differently than a beef, so I wonder if a steak will do the same.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yeah. good stuff.

high heat, maybe some salt, then oil patted onto it. though you should never try to flip anything that's sticking. sticking means it isn't ready to flip, not that's it's burnt to the grid.

take it off sooner than you might beef, because it's lean. pepper after. pepper does nothing to flavor meat before/during a sear, and will just burn (unless you do au poivre, which is different really).

might try a red wine sauce or red current sauce. i googled for a sauce for some elk and it had both red wine and currant jelly, melted in a pan with some seasonings and reduced. you could probably wing it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Stike,

Did he say elf steak?

(Sorry Nameless,stike had a funny typo about elk steaks a while back)