Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning hamburger drippings

JudyFoodie
JudyFoodie Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last time I cooked we did burgers and the kids decided to add cheese on them. They used those processed cheese squares that made a total mess of the grid and the inners of the egg and lump because they left them too long. Do I just burn this mess all away (along with the burger fat drippings) and if so for how long and what temp? Or should I remove the lump coated with the cheese and wipe the excess off the ceramic to help conserve the remaining lump first?

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Sounds like you'd best burn it clean (500-600) for an hour or so. At least that's the way I'd go at it.

Good luck!, Rascal
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    I think I would dump the lump, and then cook off the extra drippings with new lump. Otherwise you'll have a smelly,smokey egg. At some point when the smoke smells good again, you could throw something on to cook with the new lump. HTH.
  • Burn Baby Burn, after messy cooks I always push it up to 600-650 for as long as necessary to get the job done. Everything comes out nice and clean. You can pull out some of the really nasty lump if you want to cut down on the smoke. If not, Crank It Up....
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    I've started keeping old newspaper around, and it's part of my BBQ arsenal now because it can clean up the grease nicely. After every cook, I remove as much food particles from the grate(s) as I can, then open up the vents to crank the heat so that I can start the burn process. When the temps are going along nicely, I'll go eat and come back and check on evertyhing. Sometimes I'll hit the grates again with a scraper/steel brush. After everything looks OK, I shut the vents. When the cooker has cooled down, I'll wipe everything down with newspaper to get the grease off, especially the outer edges of the grates because the grease does not burn off them most times.
  • JudyFoodie
    JudyFoodie Posts: 124
    Thanks for the tips, looks like a nice day for some spring cleaning so I'll start on the egg first. No more "cheese please" request unless done under my watch. LOL.